• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Got to make a pass with the 950 carb.

383man

Local time
11:57 AM
Reaction score
My two sons and two nephews along with me all went to Cecil to a test & tune this past weekend. I had the Proform 950 on my car and the 850 DP in the trunk. My son Ron Jr ran his 72 Dart with the 400 in it and my other son Tim drove and ran Ron Jrs SRT-4 Neon. Well I was so into trying the 950 Proform that I forgot how worn my Hoosier radial slicks were that I have been driving on and raced on for over 3 years and the bottom line was there was not much left on them as they are about shot. But I figured to just run and see how it MPH's if it dont hook good. It also got very crowded and we had a few oil downs as I only got 3 passes in being there all day. The last time I got in the staging lanes about 2:30 (they closed at 4) and did not move for over an hr from an oil down as that was my last pass. Bottom line it was not a good day for me as the car did not hook good but on one run when it hooked ok. I made the first run with the 950 and it spun as I had a 1.62 sixty (normal is low 1.50's) and ran a 10.93 @ 123.17. I felt it usually has better MPH there so I slapped the 850 on to see how the MPH was. It actually hooked ok in the other lane this pass as it had a 1.52 sixty but when I pulled third gear it layed over and then at the lites picked back up and ran 10.91 @ 122. I had the 850 upside down a few times when off dumping the gas out of it so I figured maybe some dirt moved into a passage so I reved the eng some and choked out the carb some to try and clean out any dirt and then I got back in line at 2:30. The last pass was fair as it did not hook great (1.55 sixty) and did not lay over like the last run as this 850 has always run very good. I only ran a 10.89 @ 123.87 which I felt was a good tenth off as the last time at this track I ran 10.76 three passes in a row. But nothing broke and it drove the 45 miles home with no problems at all. I wish I had more time that day to make a few minor changes and to work some with the 950 but the car did MPH almost the same with both carbs on the few passes I got. Bottom line is I will get new tires before I go racing again. I can keep the 950 as long as I like so I may put it back on next year and do some tuning with it as with the 1.62 sixty with the 950 on it I felt it would have been a tenth or more better with good hook which would have been a low 10.80 run. Not as good a day as I had hoped but as they say ............thats drag racing. And as always I ran it just as I drive it fully capped up on pump.
My son had a nice day in his Dart as he ran 11.40's all day with a new best for his car of 11.41 @ 117. And the SRT-4 was basically stock and my youngest son ran 14.30 in it with stock tires. No one broke and we all drove the cars to and from the track with no problems. The best part of my day was someone got a nice picture of my car as I dont have many launch pics and this was nice. I took a few pics but none of the racing since I was racing my car it was tuff to get action pics since we were all in line at the same time. It sure felt good to make a few passes as its been 2 years since I was last at the track racing. Ron

63cecil_zpsgq198jnk.jpg

Last edited:
My sons and me at the Double-T Diner parking lot. Ron

101_0117_zpsrrfviwxg.jpg

The family that races together, stays together

nice wheels up launch Ron glad you had a good time having your sons there had to be great also

Thanks for the update Ron. Glad to hear you got to make some passes, it's been awhile!

We'll put a bug in Santa's ear for some new stickies for you!

Good Job Ron....Wheels up Launch was awesome.
Get some good tires and you will be right back into the 10.70's....quite a feat for a car you can "drive" to the track...a true street legal killer car !
Your car has the potential to go 10.60's easily with a 1050 Dominator and a 4150 to 4500 adapter.

Sounds like a good day Ron!! I'm gonna run mine sat with the single carb just to see what it does.

Thanks for the kind replies. It was really a good day as I had alot of fun with my boys racing and we all drove our cars home and none broke. And I definetly have new rear tires on my Xmass list. Ron

Auto Transport Service
Back