• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grand Spaulding Dodge - is there a dealer out there for Plymouth?

Garceau

Local time
2:11 AM
Reaction score
OK - I am aware that several Plymouth cars rolled through Mr. Norms from time to time, and probably way more than I ever read up on or heard.

My father grew up in Chicago and was in his late teens by the mid 60s and was a car nut.....so I know all the stories of him visiting many of these places and the racers from the area, hanging with them at their shop.

Anyways - Mr. Norm and GS Dodge is pretty much synonymous for high performance Dodge cars/race cars.

Was there ever a shop/dealer that focused or was as much linked to Plymouth as Mr. Norm was to Dodge?

I know odd request and all, but just curious.

OK - I am aware that several Plymouth cars rolled through Mr. Norms from time to time, and probably way more than I ever read up on or heard.

My father grew up in Chicago and was in his late teens by the mid 60s and was a car nut.....so I know all the stories of him visiting many of these places and the racers from the area, hanging with them at their shop.

Anyways - Mr. Norm and GS Dodge is pretty much synonymous for high performance Dodge cars/race cars.

Was there ever a shop/dealer that focused or was as much linked to Plymouth as Mr. Norm was to Dodge?

I know odd request and all, but just curious.
I was born and raised in Chicago not far from Mr. Norms. I even went there in Jan '68 (I was 18) re: info on a Hemi Dart. VERY small showroom, basically 2 cars and a desk. I ended up buying my used '65 GTO-4 speed, tri-power from him. Later purchased my 71' Charger from him when I got back from V.N. .
I don't know of any other MOPAR dealerships in the Chicagoland area that were focused on high performance.
The only other high performance focused dealership that I knew of was Nicky Chevrolet (with the backward K) up on Irving Park Rd.
Maybe someone else has more info.

In the late 50s/early 60s Yeakel Bros Chrysler Plymouth in Downey, CA. had a pretty good rep for hot Plymouth and 300s in Southern California. The ran a top fuel car that Tom McEwan drove for them. It still shows up at the winter nationals as a cacklefest car (repop? I don't know.)
Also Milne bros, out of Pasadena also sold Plymouth hot rods, also sponsored stockers and superstock Plymouths
Neither had anywhere near the world-wide rep GS Dodge did.
(I lived in between Downey and Pasadena growing up, but both dealers were gone by the time I could drive. But I DO remember Yeakels adds on our 12"b&w tv.)

I don't know of any other MOPAR dealerships in the Chicagoland area that were focused on high performance.
Grew up in Chicago, not far from Grand Spaulding Dodge. I agree with Chi Town Runner. No high performance Plymouth stores that I remember.

The only other high performance focused dealership that I knew of was Nicky Chevrolet (with the backward K) up on Irving Park Rd.
I worked for Nicky Chevrolet for a while.

Mason's Plymouth in Ferndale Michigan,
IIRC
org. home of the infamous Ramchargers
beginning in 1960

just something I read, no 1st hand knowledge

Did any new Plymouths actually get sold through Grand Spaulding? I doubt it was possible being a Dodge store. I saw an AAR cuda at a local cruise that the owner claimed sold new at Grand Spaulding but everyone I mentioned that story too later said that was BS.
I've heard a few stories of this Plymouth dealer in Cedar Rapids Iowa, First Avenue Plymouth, that sounds like it was a high performance oriented dealer. What I'd give to go back in time and pick out a new AAR cuda from the 50 they got!!!!!

Grew up in Chicago, not far from Grand Spaulding Dodge. I agree with Chi Town Runner. No high performance Plymouth stores that I remember.

Me neither as I also grew up in the Northern Burbs. But I bet if you took your Plymouth to Mr. Norm's for some performance work, I'm sure he'd work on it for you!

1st Ave. Plymouth sold the most Superbirds also. David Patik of performance car graphics said they had one weekend where the only car you could buy was an aar cuda. When all the superbirds showed up they caused traffic accidents at the stoplight out front and the police made them move them off the corner. David lived in cedar rapids, met him in 1979, bought some parts, and got my first ride in a Daytona...his daily driver. Dealer emblem off of my bird that was sold there new.

20220223_093307.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back