• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grandpa's 68 Coronet 4 door.

Wilson's ride

Local time
1:45 PM
Reaction score
Well after all these years I finally found the time to start restoring Grandpa's car. Back up a bit here, I got the Coronet from my grandma back in 1992 when my grandpa passed away. I asked if i could have it and no one else seem to want it anyway. Grandpa bought the car brand new in the fall of 67 when the 68 models came out. Fast forward to the summer of 68 and I was the newest grandchild. I have a lot of memories riding to the store and town with grandpa in the car. The car has only 70k miles on it and I plan to keep it about 99% stock. I do want to add efi like I did to my 74 Scamp I just restored.

20190105_143909.jpg

I'll try to catch you guys up on what I've done so far over the years. Most of the work has been disassembling the car and buying parts here and there. I did just about finish the motor last winter.

Capture+_2019-08-27-15-47-02-1.png

Lots of great memories in those old four doors, I bet everyone here has a good story that involves one of these sedans.

Put some POR15 on some parts of the car. Hope it helps protect it from further rust. The car with never see winter roads again let alone rain if I can help it. Plan on painting body color over it and duplicating the factory undercoating.

20190830_202538-1.jpg 20190830_183124.jpg

Here is the power steering pump, the before and after. Did this about a week or so ago. I do have new lines for it somewhere with the new parts I have. Cleaning up parts seems to be all I do right now. Slow process.

20190105_130415-1.jpg Capture+_2019-08-27-15-47-02-1-1.png

Been trying to take as many pictures of the project as I can and also been doing videos and posting them on YouTube. My son has been telling me to do that. So I'm kind of new to the video thing.

Tried to work on the car a little today but got sidetracked with what I found in the glove box. Did get the heater/a/c box part way out.

Never underestimate the power of influence loved ones can have on us. What great memories you must have stored away. You’re really serving as a wonderful legacy for your grandpa. He’d be proud. Good luck on the project and pls continue to keep us in the loop. This forum is packed with Mopar brainiacs that will help you if need be along the way.

Spent a few hours working on Grandpa's Coronet today. Pain in the butt, but a big hurdle to get over.

Great job. Four door cars are cool because you can make them into what you want, and not catch hell from the purists. Purists, I get it. I would not cut up a survivor Roadrunner, and turn it into some grotesque looking sideshow freak.

You know your grandpa would be smiling:)

Mine drove 4dr 78 Nova's ..no drive to find one of those for me

Yes 4 doors are becoming more popular. I think part of the reason is that 2 door mopars are getting to expensive and the average guy cant touch them. But in my case if my Coronet had 5 doors it would still mean the world to me. It was my Grandparents car and there no longer with us.

Auto Transport Service
Back