• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grandpop's '67 Coronet

Local time
8:30 AM
Reaction score
When I was ten years old, my grandfather purchased my '67 Coronet Deluxe (new). It's a 4 door base model with a 318 c.i. 2 bbl (Stromberg) and A-727 TorgueFlite 3 speed auto (which I've heard were stout transmissions used for drag racing).
The good news: it spent most of it's first ten years in a garage, rarely driven, minimal rust on the frame, floor boards etc., generally in good shape. And it only has 71,000 original miles (fact)! And for a small block 2 bbl 230 hp which can't peel rubber, it will still snap my head a bit when floored and it shifts from 1st to 2nd at 40 mph, and 2nd to 3rd at 70 mph.
The bad news: due to dents, it needs bumpers; due to minor dents and faded emblem, it needs a grill (which may be hard to find for that base model); a tight budget doesn't help; and lastly, I wish it was a Coronet 500 with a big block I was trying to restore, rather than a car that was used for military bases, cab service and as a family vehicle.
Other than installing front disc brakes, a coolant reservoir and an engine compartment heater core control, I'd like to keep it close to stock.
Notes: I am VERY grateful to Stevie Ray, with Classic Industries, for directing me to forBbodiesonly.com....Perhaps due to the lack of being aerodynamic, the '66 to '70 Mopars were some of the best looking vehicles ever (note the retro-look on new muscle cars)....I look forward to sharing things with fellow Mopar nuts!
Phil Luciano

Welcome to FBBO from western NY! How great is it that you know the entire history on the car and sounds like it’s been in the family the whole time? That’s amazing! Some of us guys are still trying to find the history on our cars. And unfortunately some of us will never know. You’re very fortunate! And great incentive to restore it as its grandpa’s car! The fellas here will be quick to tell you “WE WANT TO SEE PICS”! Let’s see some!

Welcome from Berryville, Virginia. Leon's Auto Parts in Leon, Virginia on RT 29, about ten miles south of Culpepper, should still have some 67 Coronets in the yard for some parts, but they would all be pretty well picked over by this time. A little further away, Fredricksburg Auto Salvage may have some that aren't quite as picked over. All of us 67 Coronet owners are looking for decent grille surrounds (most are dented). If you can find a decent pair, you can expect to pay over $1000 for presentable used pieces, and maybe close to double that or more for a restored pair. The grille itself (less the surrounds) is pretty common and can usually be found at a cheap price. The front bumper is specific to 67 Coronets. The back bumper is shared with the 66-67 Charger. You might try contacting Tri-City Plating in Tennessee to see if they have bumpers ready to go and if they would take your bumpers as cores. The plastic grille emblem is reproduced, but it's not cheap.

Dodge emblems

Here are a couple pictures of a 67 Coronet Deluxe I saw at Leon's Auto Parts several years ago. No grille on it, but, my guess is that it's still there unless they've cut down the tree.

1660617719992.png
1660617745149.png

These two were also at Leon's at that time.
1660618475427.png

Last edited:
Welcome from Berryville, Virginia. Leon's Auto Parts in Leon, Virginia on RT 29, about ten miles south of Culpepper, should still have some 67 Coronets in the yard for some parts, but they would all be pretty well picked over by this time. A little further away, Fredricksburg Auto Salvage may have some that aren't quite as picked over. All of us 67 Coronet owners are looking for decent grille surrounds (most are dented). If you can find a decent pair, you can expect to pay over $1000 for presentable used pieces, and maybe close to double that or more for a restored pair. The grille itself (less the surrounds) is pretty common and can usually be found at a cheap price. The front bumper is specific to 67 Coronets. The back bumper is shared with the 66-67 Charger. You might try contacting Tri-City Plating in Tennessee to see if they have bumpers ready to go and if they would take your bumpers as cores. The plastic grille emblem is reproduced, but it's not cheap.

Dodge emblems

[/URL]

Here are a couple pictures of a 67 Coronet Deluxe I saw at Leon's Auto Parts several years ago. No grille on it, but, my guess is that it's still there unless they've cut down the tree.

View attachment 1329201View attachment 1329202

These two were also at Leon's at that time.
View attachment 1329208
Holy smokes that tree grew right up around that thing?

Welcome from the great white north of Canada!

Super cool to have your grandpap's old coronet...regardless of what it is and how it was ordered! Having a classic mopar that has been in the family since new would have been a dream for me...but alas it was not to be in my family.

Please post up some pics of this piece of family history. ;)

Welcome from Missouri!!

66/67 grill surrounds sure do take a beating.
They have gone up in average price recently, too.
I believe they are the same between the models with only the center being different for the 500 (as well as more black paint).
Other than interior, the biggest difference I can think of is the side trim which is almost impossible to find for a 2 door Deluxe.
Is your glove box door painted to match the interior or black and chrome?

oh......let's see the car.

Welcome from Iowa, another 67 coronet here. Very cool that car has stayed in the family.

Welcome and nice story! Keep it stock, those late ‘60’s 318 cars weren’t slouches they could really move out!
One of my buddies mothers car was a ‘69 4dr coronet bone stock 318 2bbl torqueflight trans in the obligatory green color combo and he whipped the snot out of my 327 hot rodded Chevy I had at the time.
After he wrapped the car around a telephone pole I bought it from his mother for the engine and trans which went into a ‘72 2dr Satellite, again bone stock down to the hubcaps, and I took out a brand new cross fire injected ‘84 Z28 Camaro in a street drag!

67 is a first year LA block 318.

It should be 9.2:1 compression.

Get it on the road and drive it like you stole it.
All four doors.
Leave the museum pieces behind.

1660658524760.png

Welcome.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back