• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grave of Cpl Desmond Doss, Medal of Honor Recipient

I have a hard time imagining how these men did what they did. I see very little of that in most of our current politicians.
My dad was a B-24 pilot in the south Pacific. Told me very few stories. One was a mission to bomb Truk. He described his 16 planes faced over a hundred Zero's. His plane got severe damage but he made it back. Others did not.
They were the greatest, not like what I see today in our so called leaders.

I have a hard time imagining how these men did what they did. I see very little of that in most of our current politicians.
My dad was a B-24 pilot in the south Pacific. Told me very few stories. One was a mission to bomb Truk. He described his 16 planes faced over a hundred Zero's. His plane got severe damage but he made it back. Others did not.
They were the greatest, not like what I see today in our so called leaders.
Don't get political. Doss deserves more respect.

IMO comparing the "greatest generation" (or any other for that matter) to the current situation is not political, it is making a statement about change. He does deserve respect and probably would not be too happy seeing what he fought for so hard has become or is headed.

I was I had balls half the size of Corporal Doss. Remarkable man, incredible story.

IMO comparing the "greatest generation" (or any other for that matter) to the current situation is not political, it is making a statement about change.

I had a tough time giving you a like over a X. You're wrong here, it does and would go political with **** like that! I've seen it way to many times! People just don't fuckin care!

Great story and obviously a great man. Here is a person who was just as important to the war as those carrying guns.

Rest in Peace Sir! :usflag:

I had a tough time giving you a like over a X. You're wrong here, it does and would go political with **** like that! I've seen it way to many times! People just don't fuckin care!
There you are wrong some care.

Don't get political. Doss deserves more respect.

I sure didn't mean to be political, just factual. Those men did things that I can't hardly imagine and gave me a life I would not gotten without their amazing bravery.
I don't see so much of that today. We have more hate America now than in the 60"s anti war in Vietnam time.
The American people from the 1940's gave their all to give us what we have.

True. They were a different breed back then. Much more self reliant and used to working hard. Had a strong work ethic and a strong sense of national pride. Citizenship meant something and pitching in to help was a moral imperative. None of them wanted to slide back into another depression either. The military was paying good money and many had not seen folding green paper in years. There was a lot of incentive to join up. Once they did their strong moral center led them to greatness.

Most of that has fallen to the wayside in todays generations. It's a different time in may ways.

True. They were a different breed back then. Much more self reliant and used to working hard. Had a strong work ethic and a strong sense of national pride. Citizenship meant something and pitching in to help was a moral imperative. None of them wanted to slide back into another depression either. The military was paying good money and many had not seen folding green paper in years. There was a lot of incentive to join up. Once they did their strong moral center led them to greatness.

Most of that has fallen to the wayside in todays generations. It's a different time in may ways.

I doubt that my dad thought he was getting paid good money. Just flying into the danger zone. Doing what the country expected.

I doubt that my dad thought he was getting paid good money. Just flying into the danger zone. Doing what the country expected.
You may be right, there's no way for me to know what your Dad thought, or didn't think. Bless him for doing what he did, whatever his reasons.

You may be right, there's no way for me to know what your Dad thought, or didn't think. Bless him for doing what he did, whatever his reasons.
Found this and it's almost embarrassing. In 1944, privates serving in World War II with less than 3 years service made $50 a month, or $676.51 in 2016 dollars. I have no clue but I would guess a large percent were drafted and had less than 3 years service.

Found this and it's almost embarrassing. In 1944, privates serving in World War II with less than 3 years service made $50 a month, or $676.51 in 2016 dollars. I have no clue but I would guess a large percent were drafted and had less than 3 years service.

In 1969 as an E1 basic recruit I got $68/mo, about 9 months later as an E2 I got a whopping $80/mo. That sucked big time. So in 1944 $50 may not have been all that bad

A movie was made about him several years ago & it was a good flick as I recall.

Auto Transport Service
Back