• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Great mystery solved - why self storage biz ROCKS...

YY1

Local time
5:08 AM
Reaction score
...if you're the owner.

The previous owner of the property is finally moving out of the unit they've been in for three years.

This pic is indicative of the contents.

I saw them carry out-

a very small window a/c unit

a coffee table

two end tables

two lamps

a small chest of drawers

a Christmas tree

a weed eater

numerous open boxes of books and clothes.

Total of rents paid over the three year term- $2,700.00!!

Attachments

• IMG_20150325_170503.jpg
    IMG_20150325_170503.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 530
They are a gold mine, you just need to figure out how to expand.

If you ever add up what they make your mind would be blown. I used an EZ Mini storage here a while back, and one day, I drove around and figured out they made about $225,000 per MONTH! It was sitting on about maybe 5 acres.

With the glut of storage containers in the US that come from China and never go back, I always though that would be the way to go. Find a piece of land and line them up! I understand you can buy a 20' storage container for $1,200 bucks. You can't buy a metal storage shed for that!

That's about what I paid for a 2 bedroom house and a large one car garage in 1970 and then a buddy and I split the rent! Not bad for a couple of guys making top wages back then lol

The problems right now are-

Over saturation- there are five other facilities within 2 miles, including two independents.
(however, NONE are automotive friendly)

Construction cost- next time you drive by one, count the roll up doors, and as you count, say two thousand, four thousand, ect.
You get to a quarter mill pretty fast, then see if you can add up the concrete slab cost.

If you can find an older one like this with a motivated seller....there are two nearby, but they are somewhat ridiculously priced.
Quarter mill for 12 units and $450,000 for 20 units, albeit 20x30 units.

If you have to pay for management that can seriously eat in to profit. I do my own.

I do give a long term tenant with three units a discount to mow the grass and show units if I'm at work or otherwise unavailable.

I'm also looking at a 20' or 28' container, to put over a run-off area. If I can get that to go, I'll use that and that for parts and it will free up a unit for income.

- - - Updated - - -

Most of the value for me is the five car garage that I'm not paying for.

The modest income is kind of icing on the cake, but it's nice.

If I could find another property with the same "numbers", I'd sure do it again.

Auto Transport Service
Back