• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Green bearing install

Purepony

Local time
3:55 PM
Reaction score
I know it’s been brought up before. how hard is it to install ? Debating on tackling it for the first time or should I send the car out and have someone do it ?

I bought the kit from dr diff so I’ve made the decision to have green bearings installed.
Any one help and shed some light on the install

thanks

Reading the instructions on Doctordiff their website, if you have a decent work shop press with sufficient space it should be quite easy installation.
Just ensure you have some bushing or so that allows you to press against the inner bearing race, pushing on the outer race you might damage the bearing.

Edit: If what, remove the axles and bring them to a workshop and have them press them on if you do not have the equipment.

As said, easy if you have a press. $99 at harbor freight. The bigger issue is removing the old bearing/races. Stay away from torches as you might weaken the shaft if you get a hot spot. I like a dremal with cut off wheel. Slow but you can control your cut. On the final inner race, do not get into the axle. Make several cross cuts at 12, 3, 6, 9 o’clock and it will pop for you without having to cut all the way thru. Strike it with a cold chisel.
Don’t forget the backing plate before pressing on the green, no going on after.

I have done it both ways at home and taken to a shop, just be ready when they pop if you are using a press only!
I found it was way easier to go to my local garage on a Saturday with a 30 pack and let them do the next set.:drinks:

Use a face shield, long sleeves and gloves. The metal will fly in fragments when you chisel it.

Auto Transport Service
Back