• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Green Wire on Ammeter '62 Dodge

khryslerkid

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:29 AM
Reaction score
I decided to post here instead of "electrical".

My '62 has a heavy green wire on the ammeter. Same side as the red wire. I was going to bypass the guage and was curious to what this wire goes to. Every wiring diagram I've looked at doesn't show this green wire. It's found again on the left kick panel, with a inline fuse, and disappears into the lower frame rail. I can't find it after that.

I guess to bypass the ammeter you would just connect all three wires, black, red and this green one?

TIA

Screenshot_2017-06-23-22-42-13.jpg

Screenshot_2017-06-23-22-31-42.jpg

Last edited:
Found it!

Car has a center console with a courtesy light and, you guessed it, cigar lighter. I pinged both ends with my meter and bingo!

Thanks Glenwood, that sent me in the right direction :thumbsup:

I decided to post here instead of "electrical".

My '62 has a heavy green wire on the ammeter. Same side as the red wire. I was going to bypass the guage and was curious to what this wire goes to. Every wiring diagram I've looked at doesn't show this green wire. It's found again on the left kick panel, with a inline fuse, and disappears into the lower frame rail. I can't find it after that.

I guess to bypass the ammeter you would just connect all three wires, black, red and this green one?

TIA

View attachment 438980

View attachment 438979
Kid.... Did you buy a new dash harness? Are those wires as pliable as they look?All looks to be in great shape, considering its age. Mine was all a little stiff , since it spent so much time in the California heat. Isn't your car also from there?

Kid.... Did you buy a new dash harness? Are those wires as pliable as they look?All looks to be in great shape, considering its age. Mine was all a little stiff , since it spent so much time in the California heat. Isn't your car also from there?
It's all original and in good shape in the dash. Under the hood was a different story. The wires that pass over the intake were hard and brittle and a few across the firewall were in rough shape. Redid the whole harness there. Bulkhead connector took minor cleaning.

Before
20170615_203241.jpg

After
20170622_190352.jpg

20170620_212239.jpg

Last edited:
It's all original and in good shape in the dash. Under the hood was a different story. The wires that pass over the intake were hard and brittle and a few across the firewall were in rough shape. Redid the whole harness there. Bulkhead connector took minor cleaning.

Before
View attachment 439180

After
View attachment 439181
View attachment 439182
Your attention to detail,is Second to None! Also... I Dig that Dual point! How many people have any knowledge of that setup these days? I must admit, I caved in, and run electronic ignition in both my cars! That car will be too nice to Drive! Are you for Hire??

Auto Transport Service
Back