• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gremlin Ready for Sunday

My wife's first car was a red Gremlin. Also there was a movie way back when called "Brewster McCloud"; I believe that it had a 390 Gremlin in it. A crazy movie with lot's of chase scenes. Also featured a Road Runner and a Camaro if memory serves me. It was quite entertaining!
:steering:

Only the in line six 225 offered here in Mexico interesting story was that this engines was revised to use the lousy gas sold at that time in Mexico, later the mexican government buy the local amc factory and produce some very interesting cars based on the amc products.
The Mexican AMCs (VAM) had a big 282 inline six that wasn't available in the US or Canada from 1971 to 1986. Similar to the AMC 258, it was made in Mexico for the local market; designed for lower octane gas but large enough to make decent power. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehículos_Automotores_Mexicanos

The Chry-Ply dealer ship I worked for acquired an AMC dealer ship in about 71 or 72. I serviced a new Gremlin, 304 3 speed on the floor. That thing would scoot!!!! I was so impressed I asked the sales manager what it would cost me. I took it home that night for a test drive and to show the missus. She said that it was the ugliest car she had ever seen!!!! WE had a customer bring in a Rambler Scrambler for service too, man it was fast!!! Almost changed me from MOPAR to AMC,,,,,,NAAAWWWWWW!!!!!!

My wife had a 1974 orange with white striping, many years ago. She called it a sneaker. I remember replacing the door handles several times, really frustrating. The car was fun to drive, it had a manual trans.

Yours looks very clean. Have fun.

A friend of mine bought a new first year Grimmie with the 304. Didn't think she was a hot rodder but.....she even put on personalized license plates PF-FLYR. It was pretty quick.

@FU64RY - Where is this show you speak of?

Car looks good!
Country Cruisers of Lebanon...it's at the Hoss's in Annville, open to all comers, starts at 2 Pm.
The president of our club is from York. Bring one of your Mopars, we can meet and talk.

Sweet ride!
I had a javilen with the 304 in it that thing was a torque monster couldn't keep it straight! Not sure what was done to it .
Bought car had it for a week guy followed me home trying to buy it told him no he came back a week later with a stack of $100's and I said fine

Please tell us about the "Levi Edition"
I believe it was just a trim package - basically, denim-look seats and blue interior color, and exterior badging. Couldn't use real denim on the seats - cotton burns - so they made a lookalike fabric out of automotive plasticised/fire retardant cloth.

Neat video on one here, with Jay "Mr Denim" Leno, and Jeff Dunham:

Just like there were Mopar dealers that specialized in high performance (like Grand Spaulding Dodge) there were also performance AMC dealers. Randall AMC in Arizona took those 304 Gremlins and swapped in the 401, right off the dealer floor for you. They were 13 second cars that cost $2,995. With some dealer options (ignition, cam, exhaust) Car Craft ran a test in 1972 and pulled off a 12.22 in the quarter.
muscle-cars-you-should-know-amc-gremlin-401-xr-0009-640x427.gif

Sure..... torture us with only exterior pictures of the Levi edition Gremlin.
Interior; I had a center console made, they did not come with a center console.
Vintage Stars and Stripes SUN tac. Not a SUN II. 49,561 original miles. 258 6 PS PB A/C. Floor shift auto which was a option then.

IMG_1448.JPG IMG_1449.JPG IMG_1450.JPG IMG_1451.JPG IMG_1452.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back