• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grill restoration question

olddog67

Local time
11:02 AM
Reaction score
Anyone know what finish the black painted portion of the grill and lamps would be? I pulled it out to give it a small makeover.

I've been told by a Top Level Restorer that he uses Rustoleum Flat Black. The finish is all dependent on the prep & application of the product...

Should be Satin and Totally Auto has the correct paint in spray bombs.

I use Krylon Semi-Flat Black. I've used that on all of the first gens I've owned and it looks very close to OE paint.

Thanks for the replies guys!
Hopefully will get it all painted up within the next week or so, they are CS to sand/clean and not to mention time consuming.
Good news is one headlight motor worked perfect and I found a local guy who fixed the other motor and made 2 new limit switches for 60$. Score!

Semi flat works great or if you really want it to stay, use "Trim Paint". Lots of mfg's make it and it sticks well.
It's already satin black and has a little primer in it, works great!
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT3P9varITNJrHWeHCKxqmVfeVIvqT1BchlYLFVfgzqzmMI24UR.jpg

I’d recommend SEM products.
1) clean ruthlessly
2) apply etcher in sections, not all pieces at once. Use lacquer thinner to wipe overspray immediately. Wait to dry.
3) apply 2-3 layers of trim black (it has a satin finish/wrinkle finish). Also use lacquer thinner on shiny bits here too. Allow to dry between layers.

Sound like a lot of work? It is. But you can break it up. And do it right once, not poorly several times. Additional layers will have mechanical adhesion, and provide extra UV protection. Should be stronger. I still have a few areas where 100+mph bugs will mark, bit it’s pretty good. Also beware of fender spears and rechrome (67s), even etcher doesn’t hold against car wash hand sprayers. Try to to power spray directly on the black paint.

41282C20-A4AE-43E2-A866-309DF894840F.jpeg F9F38667-4798-47CD-A4FA-2F9FBB015F58.jpeg F809891E-88CC-4596-BCCD-FB2E30994A06.jpeg 9CDE0A0B-A3FC-4021-9A8C-9BB1FBF53C3B.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back