• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grille and headlamp bezels reconditioning

1969CoronetR/T

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:14 PM
Reaction score
I called Totally Auto to see if they can anodize, paint and recondition my 1969 Coronet R/T grille and headlamp bezels. They have not returned my call and I read this morning in Mopar Collectors Guide that Dave Ferro is somewhat retired. Does any one else re-anodize and restore grilles?
Thanks

Those are nice Don! The finished MI guys that is. The others, $2200 to $3000 for a beat up tail panel. Guess I should get my spares polished up. :eek:

I have used Mchnichols and king of trim.....kot is very expensive....

No issues with either.....

There are in a few places that do this anymore

Go over to For A-Bodies Only and send user Partsmonsta a private message. He is out of Orlando, FL. and did a tail panel, grill and head light bezels for a 68 Road Runner for a customer of ours. He did not paint them as per the customer request, but the polishing was very good. These were nice pieces to begin with, so like anything, the better the quality of the part, the better the finished product will turn out.

If you have the time and the attention to detail, polishing the trim can be done by yourself. It is a dirty job and you really have to pay attention to what your doing as the trim can quickly become a projectile.

When sending the parts out to be done, ask if the finished product is actually anodized or bright dip coated? Many of the trim restoration shops only straighten and polish the trim, others will detail it with paint. But very few shops actually anodize their work.

Also, depending upon your level of restoration and the attention of the details, the painting of the finished product will drastically affect the overall quality of the piece. The masking techniques, paint that is used can really impact the pricing and appearance of the finished product.

He's here too. @partsmonsta

I polished and removed dents on mine. Left the finish open, no anodizing or paint. Carnuba wax should keep the nice.

Depends on the look you are wanting.I had my grille and headlight bezels for my 63 plymouth straightened and the dings removed,then poilished,,,NO dip.I have alot of aluminum to polish but with the right tools it makes like good for the old guy.Speak with 5.7 HEMI here on the board.My nose never looked this good and his price was more than fair!!

img_22571.jpg img_22491.jpg img_22561.jpg img_22751.jpg img_22761.jpg img_22771.jpg img_22791.jpg thumbnail.jpg

There is a place a few miles from my house that can strip and re-anodize the parts. They do not repair or paint the parts. So, maybe 5.7 can get them to look nice before they are anodized. Does he also paint the parts? Time for a PM to 5.7 Hemi. Thanks everyone.

Process would - strip, fix dents, polish, anodize, then detail paint.

The plater I use here locally won't re-anodize these parts. He says they come out spotty and inconsistent. That said, someone will do them but it must be some technique and experience to it. Make sure your not the guinea pig.

I used King of Trim for the rear wheel well trim on my 75 RR. After looking for NOS for almost 2 years I decided to try to have the originals redone. They were very dull and full of door dings on the outside lip, and rock dings on the inside. That was in 2006, and they still look better than the NOS ones that I was able to find for the fronts. I will use them again anytime I might need their services in the future.

https://kingoftrim.com/

There is a place a few miles from my house that can strip and re-anodize the parts. They do not repair or paint the parts. So, maybe 5.7 can get them to look nice before they are anodized. Does he also paint the parts? Time for a PM to 5.7 Hemi. Thanks everyone.
5.7 media blasted the the old ana-dip off,hand sanded and then polished.Then he painted the bezel and grille spots like oem.You can see on pictures above. It was a pleasure to deal with Zack.
Also,when I boxed everything up and went to the post office with the 4lb box,,,,they wanted $60 to ship:eek: Went to Fastenal.....$15

If you just wanted them fixed and polished I can do that for ya and you could then send them out for anodizing and painting. I sure as hell don’t charge an arm/leg, but I also don’t have the equipment to re-anodize.

Personally I wouldn't redip and leave it polished.After Zack get done with it mainteinance is easy peasy!UNless your going for OE gold I like the bling:thumbsup:

Auto Transport Service
Back