• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Groove on outside of drum. Out of round?

mrmolding

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:15 AM
Reaction score
So I’ve literally almost worked all bugs out of my 70 rr after new drum brakes. But this weekend I’ve been struggling with shuddering at high speed slow down and I hear a scraping sound when coming to a stop after 5 or so miles.
I pulled the drum and there are high spots on the pad. My Oem drums could not be turned so i got a hub and new raybestos 11x3 drums in front.
Things were fine for the first 50 miles or so miles but now the scraping is nuts.
I just pulled the drum and noticed a notch in the outer part of the rim. I found a few threads that this could be out of round from the factory. Really??? I fortunately came across some 40 year old Eis 11x3 drums so I can use those if need be.
Any thoughts are welcome and pic of drum below.

IMG_5841.jpeg

Notch is most likely to balance the drum. Yes the drum is most likely out of round. Very common. Always best to make sure they are true before installing. As far as noise you must have something rubbing. There should be tattle tale marks.

Notch is most likely to balance the drum. Yes the drum is most likely out of round. Very common. Always best to make sure they are true before installing. As far as noise you must have something rubbing. There should be tattle tale marks.
Ok. Thanks! So there are some scoring marks in drum. Do I get drum turned again or use older eis 11x3 and start over?

Let’s see what you are looking at?
I put it all back together. I’ll need to take it part in a few days. To be continued! Thanks again!

Auto Transport Service
Back