• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ground clearance issue - change torsion bars?

74sundancekid

Local time
3:18 PM
Reaction score
I have a 1974 satellite 318 with hooker headers and a 3 inch exhaust.

Currently took my car out for a shaledown run after its restoration and i scraped 4 times in my 1/2 mile journey.

Does anyone know how i could fix this before i start ordering new parts?

The header flange is the lowest part on the car.

Did i perhaps install the torsion bars wrong? Or should i get bigger torsion bars to add handling and raight the front end up.

Im looking for an extra inch… let me know if you have any tips

Thanks!

Jack the front up off the ground first and then adjust as described above.

And once the adjustment is done, roll the car forward a few feet to help settle the front end and then measure to see if it's where you want it. Keep in mind that raising the car can change the camber slightly but if it's already set at factory standards, I wouldn't worry about it. The factory standards were mainly for bias ply tires and you probably have radials on it. Besides, a bit more negative camber never hurts handling....it helps it....and it's easy to check the toe yourself.

Some header companies like to run #1 and #3 on the roadside of the center link putting them in harms way plus sometimes the collector flanges too. The Cyclones I had on my Duster were that way. Had to weld on skid plates, turn the bars up some plus taller snubbers on the lower control arm. TTI does a better job of tucking the header closer to the car and the pipes don't wrap around the center link. Something to think about plus remember, your t-bars may be original and would be a great replacement upgrade to think about.

Of course you haven't given us any details or pictures of your car.
Is it a stocker ot Pro-mod ? What size are the tires and wheels ? What is the ride height set at ?
More details = better help.

Of course you haven't given us any details or pictures of your car.
Is it a stocker ot Pro-mod ? What size are the tires and wheels ? What is the ride height set at ?
More details = better help.
Dont have ride hight bc i already popped the tbars out. Stock suspension besides moroematic shocks and poly bushings. Wheels and tires are 245/r15 65 and 275/15 65

Dont have ride hight bc i already popped the tbars out. Stock suspension besides moroematic shocks and poly bushings. Wheels and tires are 245/r15 65 and 275/15 65
Sundance, did the bigger torsion bars allow you to raise front end higher than before?

Auto Transport Service
Back