• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grounding issue

Car #4

Local time
8:21 PM
Reaction score
After removing and replacing the instrument cluster the right turn signal doesn’t flash. So I pulled the light out and made a ground with my test light probe on the metal tabs of the socket and it works. So definitely a grounding issue. Took a little sand paper and cleaned the tabs and cleaned the edges of the hole that the socket goes in as best I could. Light doesn’t work except if I pull the socket out and hold it in the hole at a cock-eyed angle it will work. How do I get it to ground when the socket is installed properly? What’s frustrating is that it worked before I removed the cluster.
89AEFBBE-DC70-4D26-9DB0-973959E2F9BF.jpeg

If you cant fix it and for sure the hole is keeping a ground you have two choices. Replace the socket or creatively add a auxiliary ground wire to the socket.

If you cant fix it and for sure the hole is keeping a ground you have two choices. Replace the socket or creatively add a auxiliary ground wire to the socket.
Would a little dielectric grease help any?

On the 70 Rally dash each bulb has it own ground connection... There are small, self-tapping screws that clamp/ground the PCB socket circuit to the dash's metal frame. This can loosen, corrupting the ground PCB connection just for that socket.

Just my $0.02...

On the 70 Rally dash each bulb has it own ground connection... There are small, self-tapping screws that clamp/ground the PCB socket circuit to the dash's metal frame. This can loosen, corrupting the ground PCB connection just for that socket.

Just my $0.02...
I’ve seen no evidence of self-tapping screws on light sockets on this dash. Thanks for your input.

I’ve seen no evidence of self-tapping screws on light sockets on this dash. Thanks for your input.
The screws with small hex heads clamp the ground trace of the PCB to the dash's cluster metal frame for grounding... These screws can slightly work loose over time, corrupting the ground connection. Note in the 70 Rally dash the wedge bulbs go into a small black plastic socket base that then twists into the PCB. The black plastic base has (2) small tabs that provide contact to the PCB when inserted and twisted. But if the PCB ground connection is loose than the bulb will not light...

Just my $0.02...

Oh, I know the ones you mean but the turn signal indicator is on a wire and not connected to the circuit board.

Auto Transport Service
Back