• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GTX over heating issue

Quintin

Local time
2:31 PM
Reaction score
69 GTX convert with a stock I think 440. No issues with overheating except when driving around town on a hot +90 day. Thinking about putting on a Flex a Lite 7 blade fan to replace the 6 blade but I don't know if that is actually any better. I can't find anywhere how much air either fan would move. The radiator has been gone thru. I don't really want to put on an electric fan.

"stock I think 440".....

Are you saying stock 440 I think or you dont know what engine it is.....

You gave us ZERO specifics and no pictures of what you have.......Shall we throw darts and see where it lands?

It could be something simple as a hose collapsing or a worn out motor due for a rebuild? Water pump, water pump hosing, idle speed, timing off.........too many to list

We need a lot more information than a radiator that has been gone through....

180 superstant. Shroud. Make sure the thermal clutch is working if equipped. Using a digital gun?

Mine was a result of vapor lock on those hot hot days. But like was said. It could be anything with the amount of detail you gave......

Definitely need more info as stated .... but if your only having issues while going down the road then your radiator is the culprit or that elusive collapsed hose at higher rpm ... Can you define "gone through" ? Cleaned or re-cored ?

180 superstant. Shroud. Make sure the thermal clutch is working if equipped. Using a digital gun?

And,
You have spent no time telling us about the engine/cooling system
As Dennis H stated, Shroud is important
Also:
1. How is your Radiator?
2. How is your impeller/water pump?

Are these new items?
Is water pump "matched" to your engine, (impeller)?
Is Radiator original?
Has it been "Rodded"?
Did you know that:
A) Standing still if your car over heats...that is one symptom?
B) driving, if your car over heats, another symptom?
How is Temperature at 50 degrees?
Cool?

Bottom radiator hose...spring in there???

Thermostat, and radiator cap good??

It is a 440. I believe it to be stock. The radiator was cleaned while it was at Fastline. It will overheat idling but it takes awhile. I have watched the temp with a heat gun. The motor runs strong so I don't think it's due for a rebuild. I do know that the thermostat needs to be replaced. The radiator cap is good and I have added a catch tank to help hold additional coolant. At 50 degrees the motor runs cool. As far as the water pump I don't know if it's matched to the engine. When it gets warm a little trip down the road will bring the temp back down. It has never gotten hot enough to blow the radiator cap even in a parade but I was getting real nervous that day. There is a shroud on the radiator and the fan is at the recommended distance from the radiator.

Squeeze your pump intake hose (lower rad hose). Spring inside??? New crap may not come with one, I stole my old spring and moved it over to the new.

beerestoration2018 1206.JPG beerestoration2018 1209.JPG

Does it have the thermal Ma Mopar fan clutch? Had the same symptoms for years, was mis-diagnosing a bad clutch fan. Spin it hot, spin it cold etc. A new Hayden Cluch fan solved the problem.

Oh so it doesn't run hot going down the road now ? Do you know what your actual temps are ??

It doesn't have a fan clutch. Belt is tight. Idling and using a digital gun at he radiator and the thermostat housing it will get up to 220+. Both hoses have springs in them. Only time it's an issue is in 90+ weather and cruising 15-20 minutes at 25-30 mph. Don't know anything about the water pump or impeller. Thought about replacing it but I hate to throw parts and hope.

Know what you mean. I would insist on a factory set up, the thermal fan is the best choice for me.
Those exact conditions caused mine to creep the temp. Only those conditions.

Your shroud stock? Some A/M shrouds enclosing the fan tighter have caused more air 'turbulence' reducing cooling efficiency - direct air to engine. Is your pump doing the job of circulating coolant? I solved some of my OH issues by:
Stock shroud - mine didn't have one, 7-blade from 4-blade, installed a top seal on rad, lowered the anti-freeze to water ratio and added water-wetter. As my motor is tricked have a H/E pump. If your motor is tricked up, the advance may be significantly modified and also carb fuel/air - leaner mix - these can impact hotter engine temps..

I do know that the thermostat needs to be replaced.
Do you know if your getting good flow, through the radiator? Easy check, pull the cap, and watch. Won't see any until the thermostat opens.
When you do replace the thermostat, be sure to test the new one, before you put it in.

Auto Transport Service
Back