• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Guess what I found in the dumpster/at the thrift store 8-12 edition

YY1

Local time
7:53 PM
Reaction score
It's time to play once again.

Not my dumpster this time but the church next door to where I've been working.
They were cleaning out their storage building.

On day one I got four 4" electrical boxes, each with a recep and cover, strung together with 5 foot sections of 1/2" EMT and an LB on the end and wired.

I was just about ready to buy almost the exact same group to add one or two recep circuits to my new shop. Estimated retail value- $50

On day two I got these 12" PA speakers! dirty and dented/ripped grilles but they cleaned up real nice and even the grilles hammered out good.

Name plates are missing but they are clean on the inside and the numbers on the woofers (with heavy magnets) indicate Eminence brand. Horns have "P.Audio" labels. Each are rated at 250 watts!

I wasn't sure I had anything that would drive those and be respectable, so I stopped at a few pawn shops and thrift stores while I was out.

Scored this 125 watt per channel Sony receiver with heavy binding post speaker connections for $15 at Salvation Army.

Had to make one modification on the speakers- the connectors were 1/4" phono jack, so I removed the covers and crimped on some #14 speaker wire with suitcase connectors and fed the wire through one of the dual phono jacks.

So far everything works. Volume on setting 4 (of 10) will allow you to hear them out past the garage and my tests (again, on 4) with "Burnin Down The House" and "Down In It" will literally move the bones in your chest if you are directly in front of the speakers!

Did I mention fully configurable 7.1 channel surround?

I need another vintage stereo system like another hole in the head, but...

SCORE!

IMG_20180812_141946.jpg
IMG_20180812_142011.jpg

Cool! I wouldn't advocate for dumpster diving, but you never know! A few months back somebody had thrown away a stack of National Geographic magazines from the 1930s, into our shop dumpster... I was just kind of moving them around looking at the covers when I found 3 Argentinian $500 bills underneath them... Well heck they were worth $24 and change so I cashed out two and kept one..
20180812_152520.jpg
20180812_152537.jpg

Nice.

Model number on the Sony?
Also "Dance" mode may be a surround sound mode. If it is, make sure you set up the reciever for 2 Large speakers only, or you will be missing out on max performance. "Dance" may just be an EQ preset though, if so, no problem.

"Dance" is a preset EQ curve with elevated highs and lows but a flat mid

it also has a kind of parametric EQ that shifts the q and drags the curve via an up/dn/L/R button set, plus you can create and save custom settings although you can not simply adjust individual levels when not in program mode !?

STR D 1015

I had a 975 and a 1075 from circa 1986 that were great and I LOVED the peak hold graphic EQ and analyzer on those, however the preset station programming was horribly non-intuitive (it's MUCH better on this one) and they also both developed the same bizarre issue- they would all of a sudden get really noisy (you could see it in the spectrum analyzer) and the power button would stop working, and sometimes the volume would slowly start going up. The remedy was to lift up the front left corner and let it fall sharply !?!

The "heart and soul" of my 9.1 surround sound system is a Sony STR-DA9000ES circa 2005. It was a breakthrough receiver at the time of its release, all digital path including the S-Master Pro amplifiers. It also has a firewire digital connection for a very few SACD players that had the firewire output, so the proprietary SACD digital stream stays digital right up until the very end of the path.
I also use a 1999 TAN-9000ES 5 channel amp in BTL mode for 2 channel power to my L, R front Klipsch KLF-30s.
Long story short, I was in the A/V business from 1990 to 2009 and I finally got to a point where I could buy some of the best stuff through the decades I was in the biz.
It kicks ***! (But was way more than you paid)

I could "listen" to you guys talk all night. But I really would like to listen to your systems !

Cool! I wouldn't advocate for dumpster diving, but you never know! A few months back somebody had thrown away a stack of National Geographic magazines from the 1930s, into our shop dumpster... I was just kind of moving them around looking at the covers when I found 3 Argentinian $500 bills underneath them... Well heck they were worth $24 and change so I cashed out two and kept one..
View attachment 637955 View attachment 637957
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/José_de_San_Martín
Bio of the guy In the 500 pesos bill.

I found some 1912 ish. Cast iron pans whole set in the trash behind good will and a old cowboy style bean pot cast iron date unknown no maker marks very crude . I was there picking up a server cabinet for someone and he said go look in the dumpster why he was finishing tieing it down ,he said they throw lots of good stuff out ! He was right !

Some day your gonna find a body, lol!!

Some day your gonna find a body, lol!!
I went to work for the school board my very first day I couldn't get into the compound there was a dead dude zip tied to the gate full of bullet holes ! I told them I'm not working in that shop ! Found out guy was screwin someone's ol lady and the dude and his hommie smoked him !

Sometimes free comes at too big a price - dumpster diving...???

Auto Transport Service
Back