• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Guide to Poverty Cap Applications

Powerflite

Local time
12:12 PM
Reaction score
I've spent quite a bit of time figuring out all the different applications for mopar poverty caps and creating a pictorial guide for the purpose of helping others figure out which cap their particular car would have come with from the factory. There could be errors in this, so please inform me of any, if you have proof, and I will correct it.
Thanks! Nathan

66-74 Mopar Dog Dish.jpg 62-65 Mopar Poverty Caps.jpg Chrysler-DeSoto Dog Dish.jpg Dodge Dog Dishes.jpg Plymouth Dog Dish Caps.jpg

In your '66-'74 group top row, the cap shown as "unknown export" were the caps that came on my brother's new '68 Roadrunner delivered here in British Columbia Canada. I always thought that they were the standard poverty caps everywhere for that year but I don't know that for sure. Excellent info you have produced there; thanks very much! Jeff J

As far as I know the 2768007 cap was a '68 only offering. The 66-67 Chargers had full wheelcovers.

I've spent quite a bit of time figuring out all the different applications for mopar poverty caps and creating a pictorial guide for the purpose of helping others figure out which cap their particular car would have come with from the factory. There could be errors in this, so please inform me of any, if you have proof, and I will correct it.
Thanks! Nathan

View attachment 1247015 View attachment 1247016 View attachment 1247017 View attachment 1247018 View attachment 1247019

What a fantastic display you have created and shared with our Forum. I spent many hours trying to figure this "poverty cap" maze. Thank you for doing so.

2823001 was also on B body Belvederes in 1968. I pulled parts off an original’68 Satellite that had them.

Man this is great! Should be a thread in the "how to" forum FABO has.

2823001 was also on B body Belvederes in 1968. I pulled parts off an original’68 Satellite that had them.
There was a large version of this 2923001 style cap for 1967 Plymouth B-body, and a smaller diameter for 1968. Same for Dodge with 2768007 style cap. Chrysler changed the style of their wheels in 1968, taking a smaller diameter cap. 2823008 I have only seen as large diameter, so I think 1967 Plymouth B-body only. Not as common as the 2923001 large diameter.
Thanks for this and the research you have done.

Great piece of work Nathan!! Have already copied these to my files. If you do any updates please post them. Thanks!!

There was a large version of this 2923001 style cap for 1967 Plymouth B-body, and a smaller diameter for 1968. Same for Dodge with 2768007 style cap. Chrysler changed the style of their wheels in 1968, taking a smaller diameter cap. 2823008 I have only seen as large diameter, so I think 1967 Plymouth B-body only. Not as common as the 2923001 large diameter.
Thanks for this and the research you have done.

I didn’t know there was 2 different sizes. I only got 3 from the Satellite. I’ll have to measure them and see, but I guess they are the smaller ones. I know they are the same size as the police car caps, as I’ve interchanged them on several cars.

Jeffj: Thanks for the info on the export cap. If I had to guess, I would say they used it for the same years as the large Plymouth B-body cap next to it in '67-'68. But if you have access to a Canadian parts book, that would be appreciated to get any info you have on it.

turbine68rt: Good point. Just because that cap was slated for the wide wheels on the Charger, doesn't mean that the poverty caps were actually used on the car. Just like a New Yorker would always have come with full wheel covers.

440 PHIXX & Dave6T4: I have also heard that Plymouth B-bodies began using the small cap in '68, but that's not what the parts catalog claims for the '68 model year. Do you have any proof that was the case? I would like to see where this information comes from to clear it up. There may be confusion as to what it meant to change the wheel in 1968, as that could mean for the 69 model year. Also, it could be that there were a couple of wide wheel B-body applications on the '68 models that used it, but not across the board.

BeepBeepRR: Thanks for the link! Nice to see a compilation of wheelcovers.

3461450 Aluminum 3rd row down. Is that really only Plymouth? Asking because I really dont know.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back