• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Had it with Richmond gears in my 67

AR67GTX

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:37 PM
Reaction score
I’ve been through 2 sets of new Richmond Gears and 4 setups in my 67 - which I also checked pattern and backlash on myself too before putting the chunk back in the car - and I can’t take the howling much longer. Who makes a quiet (high quality) 8-3/4” gear set For a 489. I’m going to go to another shop this time as I don’t think I can wean the guy I’ve been using off of Richmond.

When I was researching a gear set for my Dakota I heard Richmans were sometimes noisy. I happen across a set of Motive Gears and I couldn't get a perfect pattern no matter what I did. It was an acceptable pattern so I went with it. They have a slight whine but you can barely hear it and it gets quieter all the time.

I put a set of Nitro gears in my '62 and they had a perfect pattern after setting them up and have been quite since the get go. I bought them from Dr. Diff (Cass). He doesn't advertise that brand but he does have them.

Gear sets aren't cut the way they used to be and there are a lot of complaints about setting them up and the end results.

Good luck!

Hi, I too have had noisy gear problems with Yukon gears. I just couldn’t except that I had a perfect pattern and these gears just kept making a bad noise no matter what I did. I moved the pattern forward and aft in and out, it did not make any difference where I put the pattern these things kept winding. Someone said if they don’t fail and you can put up with the noise driving till they give up.

Any of the other differentials that I have worked I have tried to find acceptable original gears that were actually Chrysler gears. These gears were set up with a manual machine that the technician actually ran the pinion and ring together on it before they assembled the differential. There are videos on YouTube that describe the machine and show a technician actually showing how the process was completed so that it would be a perfect with acceptable limited noise.

Sometimes you have to walk away from certain things. Other times I just keep plugging along trying to make things perfect, torturing myself.

Good luck,
Azmoparboy

Not the gears, it's the set up. I used to set up gears at work for industrial applications, do my own for racing, and sometimes for others years ago. More than once I was brought a recent set by another that the car's owner couldn't take the noise, and if the gears were new enough and there was not an irregular pattern set in, I was able to re-do the set up and make them quiet. It takes time to make the checks and adjustments for the differences in gear and housing variances, the special tools, and a training class from gear manufacturers doesn't hurt either. Hopefully you can find someone better suited to do the job and the problem will go away.

I've set-up hundreds of gear sets and while I'll agree setup is critical gear manufacturing obviously is a factor too... I've set-up a few sets of Richmonds & won't install them anymore... I've been told that to make them run quiet you need to set them up deeper than reading the pattern would indicate...

My preference is Strange or US Gear, had great results with both....

I’ve been through 2 sets of new Richmond Gears and 4 setups in my 67 - which I also checked pattern and backlash on myself too before putting the chunk back in the car - and I can’t take the howling much longer. Who makes a quiet (high quality) 8-3/4” gear set For a 489. I’m going to go to another shop this time as I don’t think I can wean the guy I’ve been using off of Richmond.
Would a NOS Mopar 3:91 crown and pinion be acceptable?

Used to work in a 4x4 shop prob set up a set or two a week for 10 years. I’ve had good luck with Yukon gears and precision gear. Richmond’s are always noisy. I have a set in my mustang contact pattern was ideal and backlash was within spec. The things whine a bit but can’t really hear it to much over the exhaust. I’m not a fan of the richmonds

Would a NOS Mopar 3:91 crown and pinion be acceptable?
I think that would be a bit too much gear for the car. It has a stock motor and fairly loose converter so a 3.55 has seemed to work for the car pretty well. But thanks for the thought.

I had a friend who owned his own rearend shop. He told me FIRST setup used on the road has to be right. Once a gear set howls, it will always howl, no matter what is done to alter the setup.
I don't know where Richmonds are made..... but gearsets made in India have a bad reputation.
My solution for loud rearends has always been louder mufflers. Lol.

Richmond ad Motive have been the same for about 6 or 7 years now (one company bought the other). Both made in Italy now.
Mine have always had a very subtle whine right around 50mph...sometimes it's not even noticeable so I don't care. Yukon parts have done nothing but break in my hot rod.
I'm purchasing a set shortly, I think I'll call Cass and ask him about the Nitro gears @khryslerkid mentioned. He only shows Richmond for the 8-3/4" in the ratio I'm looking for.
Strange's site shows Richmond/Motive only for the 8-3/4" also..and they're quite a bit expensive from them.

Last edited:
I had a friend who owned his own rearend shop. He told me FIRST setup used on the road has to be right. Once a gear set howls, it will always howl, no matter what is done to alter the setup.
I don't know where Richmonds are made..... but gearsets made in India have a bad reputation.
That's what I was taught too..once they wear-in together, that's it!

I used a 3.23 Nitro gear set and it has a slight humm at 55 mph but other than that is fine.
It is perfectly acceptable. You would be really lucky to have modern gears that run absolutely quiet.
I agree with the info posted earlier if a gear set goes in and it is unacceptably noisy that is it for good.
It may improve slightly but it will not "wear in''

That's what I was taught too..once they wear-in together, that's it!

I don’t know that this is 100% fact but it’s something I always understood too. It’s a reason I’m hesitant to try a used gear set.

The set I’m on now have the best of the 4 set ups on the 2 sets of gears. But they still whine on light cruise throttle and coast. At one point (one of the set ups) we had it down to howling only at steady, light throttle, but it was really loud.

I agree - assuming the OE gear set is not worn out getting it set back up the same is next to impossible - even if you use the same diff housing.
If you swap the gears to another housing even a set that ran quiet may now be somewhat noisy.

I don’t know that this is 100% fact but it’s something I always understood too. It’s a reason I’m hesitant to try a used gear set.

The set I’m on now have the best of the 4 set ups on the 2 sets of gears. But they still whine on light cruise throttle and coast. At one point (one of the set ups) we had it down to howling only at steady, light throttle, but it was really loud.
My friend always had the customer sign a paper saying he couldn't guarantee a gearset would NOT be noisy, if the customer insisted on used gears.

Trashed a brand new set of Yukon gears 3:55’s. Doesn’t take many rev’s to one and done 'em. Sold the set to a guy who races cars.

Auto Transport Service
Back