• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hanging full qtrs

Donny

Local time
12:27 AM
Reaction score
Need some details of what/how to expect this to go; meaning what to do, not to do in this endeavor. Thanks in advance!

Disturb the Lead seam? Are you kidding? take a look at my project GTX in Restorations section! This is a rebirth from death!

One thing I can say is the more welding surface the more the shrinking you will have to deal with.

In those articles they suggest POR 15, I actually did not like POR 15 because it can bubble very easily and can look crappy. I prefer Eastwood rust converter followed by eastwood rust encapsulator. Neither should be used on visible parts if at all possible. I do recommend using a weld-through coating if possible.

My biggest recommendation is when it comes to welding the panel in, I have three words: patience, patience, patience. Trying to weld quickly is most newbies downfall.

Lastly, cleanliness is next to godliness. A good weld occurs when BOTH materials are clean and aligned.

Randy

In those articles they suggest POR 15, I actually did not like POR 15 because it can bubble very easily and can look crappy. I prefer Eastwood rust converter followed by eastwood rust encapsulator. Neither should be used on visible parts if at all possible. I do recommend using a weld-through coating if possible.

My biggest recommendation is when it comes to welding the panel in, I have three words: patience, patience, patience. Trying to weld quickly is most newbies downfall.

Lastly, cleanliness is next to godliness. A good weld occurs when BOTH materials are clean and aligned.

Randy

Good info, I will be doing the same thing as Donny shortly and will take all the advice I can soak up.:yes:

1. Make sure you don't cut the door jamb mounted braces off the front
2. Get 3 people at least, who are very good at working together
3. Bend the front lip of the quarter up to fit it around the brace better
4. Brace your trunk floor and door openings
5. Make sure that there is minimal sand in the rockers from blasting
6. Remember, each car is different, and that I did this with a Charger...twice!!!

This is all great info, and maybe it's a giving, but dry fit the quarter before anything happens. I like some of these guys said TAKE YOUR TIME WELDING! :grin:

yes, DOOOOO take your time welding. do not rush the job.

1. Make sure you don't cut the door jamb mounted braces off the front
2. Get 3 people at least, who are very good at working together
3. Bend the front lip of the quarter up to fit it around the brace better
4. Brace your trunk floor and door openings
5. Make sure that there is minimal sand in the rockers from blasting
6. Remember, each car is different, and that I did this with a Charger...twice!!!

I don't understand #1, can you clarify please?.
Thanks

Don't solid weld the 1/4 on! You need to tack it on leaving about 2-3 inch spaces between each tack to keep the heat down.And then after you've gone the whole length of the 1/4 come back and make another pass in between the first set of tacks you did.Do this over and over until the 1/4 is fully welded.This way it won't heat warp it all to hell.When it's all finish ground use fiberglass over the seam,then finish with a thin coat of bondo.If you just use bondo it can/will crack over time.

Anybody ever use metal to metal instead of the fiberglass?

I don't understand #1, can you clarify please?.
Thanks

Yes, surely. Well on Dodge Chargers, at least in 1969 they built the door frame from the rockers and it was the same as the inner-quarter, correct? Well the factory needed a guide to aid them with panel fitment and a thick brace to weld the quarter to. Unfortunately when my body guy cut off my quarters he cut off the brace.

I was there with him and he appologized but there's pretty much nothing to do.

This is the explaination I can offer to the best of my abilities.

Inside red square on pic, sorry that it is a bad angle.

Quarter Brace.jpg

Yes, surely. Well on Dodge Chargers, at least in 1969 they built the door frame from the rockers and it was the same as the inner-quarter, correct? Well the factory needed a guide to aid them with panel fitment and a thick brace to weld the quarter to. Unfortunately when my body guy cut off my quarters he cut off the brace.

I was there with him and he appologized but there's pretty much nothing to do.

This is the explaination I can offer to the best of my abilities.

Inside red square on pic, sorry that it is a bad angle.
Got it, thanks!:grin:

i have used metal to metal. it is awesome and much better than putty or tiger hair. though it is a bitch to sand down.

That brace I cut off too, by mistake! OOps! Kept the brace's though, will weld them back on the way they were.

Also, think it's a good idea to have my buddies come over to help hang them, with Beer flowing? haha

Auto Transport Service
Back