• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck!

They for the most part are CCJ. For a hobbyist they are ok. Working for a living I would buy better.

The only thing I bought from HF that didn't break on the first usage was a jack. Long reach low profile Daytona jack. That doesn't suck. Everything else... ehhh.

Remember 2 HF jack stands are safer than 1 :D

4DC7508D-6899-4876-89C1-0B140EB3BF1E.jpeg

My folding engine hoist is a pretty decent hoist. As well as my 3 ton jack and my transmission jack. The transmission jack is a little too high for cars unless you have the car a mile in the air. But other than that its not bad. And the 12 ton press is pretty good. Hell I forgot to pull the c-clip out of a Honda Accord knuckle that holds in the hub. I actually broke the damn knuckle with the press.

I bought the electric chain saw and it worked flawless for cutting up a 50 year old tree that had fell during a wind storm. I cut it completely and trucked it to the dump. Luckily when it fell it only grazed my gutter and that was the extinct of my damage. Had to replace gutter that was 40 feet.

I bought a variable electrical controller that is used for routers and grinders and the like. It has worked flawlessly for 4 or 5 years.

I don't use mine every day but all of my air tools are HF Chicago pneumatic and the newest one is probably 25 years old. Impact, 3/8 ratchet, cut off, die grinder, sockets and extensions. All have been excellent. I have purchased HF tools that I use infrequently and never an issue including cut off wheels, Hardy work and rubber 9 mil gloves. I did have a 18v charger fail so can't recommend battery powered tools.

I have air tools that I bought back in the early 80's that still work and for the price I paid I figured I could buy 10 of them for every blue point and the blue point isn't warrantied either , I've had a few jacks with no problems but I don't trust their electric grinders I've smoked a couple of those , I tried the second one after a few years thinking the might have made some improvement but they didn't , I have a Milwaukee grinder now , I've worn out a few 1/4 inch air ratchets , they last just as long as anybody else's , socket's and screwdrivers I buy quality but I've had pretty good luck with quite a few tools they have , if your just starting out they're a good place to start

I have a dual anvil 1/2 air impact from the mid-80s I bought from them. I would have to go look at it to recall the brand - probably Chicago Pneumatic. I don’t recall it ever having failed to break a fastener loose - matter of fact if it’s rusted and doesn’t want to loosen, it will usually just shear it off. I nearly pulled my GTX off the jack stands with a 3’ cheater bar on an upper arm ball joint - it rocked pretty good. On the other one I got the impact out and it popped it off in a blink of the eye. I’ve never seen a need to upgrade to another air impact.

I also like the aluminum Jack stands, Earthquake battery impacts and the 12 ton press. I have their sandblast cabinet that has done well also.

Last edited:
I bought some tools for my salesman to use when he helped me. One of them was an Earthquake XT 3/8 impact. I still use it in my shop after he quit. That was about 3 years ago still works good and batteries have good life

They use to have two grades of tools. Not sure if that is the case any more. I have broken just as many Snap-on, Mack and a few other companies tools over the years.

Just about every socket, extension and wrench has been up to the task. Surprised on that. Won’t buy electrical tools, the two I bought lasted about a day. Consumables are too cheap, wear out fast. Still using the brass hammer, tear drop plastic one broke in half. Perfect place for one time jobs

I bought a fuel pressure tester out of desperation. What a POS that was.

If I need a one time tool I’ll get the HF. Sometimes it has to work twice though. That’s a 50/50 tool will work again. I do have engine hoist and a couple low profile jacks that are actually pretty good.

2 things that stand out
Electric angle grinders.. for 15 bucks use them then toss when done.
Earthquake impacts..bought 2 -1/2 inch a few years back, they still work great

I have the engine hoist and while I don’t use it often, it’s very sturdy. The ram started leaking after the 3rd use though...

I have bought several things to try out. Most were junk. A couple things that I have gotten my use out of is their 1200 lb overhead hoist. I have pulled and installed probably 60 engines with it. Their Badlands 12,000 winch in my trailer that is about 5 years old now and their General tool box for my trailer has been nice for the money and the trans jack as mentioned.

Auto Transport Service
Back