• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Harbor Freight

wagonman

Local time
12:47 AM
Reaction score
Picked up this old girl about 5 miles from the Mexican border in Columbus NM. Not a far drive home 30 miles or so. Strapped in down and off we go. The only stop is a border check point. Roll up to the booth across some speed bumps to a stop and the front strap snaps. The guys in the booth start yelling, good thing I had the front wheels blocked with a 4x4. Slid back about 3ft. Could have been ugly dropping it right in front of the booth. Live and learn No more Hobo Freight straps. At least we got through without a search. LOL
IMG_1231.JPG

Well, tell us more about this old girl.

Well, tell us more about this old girl.
It is a 49 Chevy, the cab is not to bad with a little rot in the typical lower corners. Came with 2 hoods extra fenders 2 grills 4 front bumpers running boards lots of nick nacks. Has a Hi-Torque 292 that rolls over by hand and a 3 speed. Dont know what I am going to do with it, Not my style. The 292 is a desirable engine for the inliner crowd. Rat rod, yard art, part it ???

Probably a good idea, just last month I towed my Duster to the Las vegas area and towed my buddies 63 wagon back with straps. They are Semi style 15K lbs rated with no issues. The front was chained on those. Like I said live and learn.
IMG_1042.JPG
IMG_1042.JPG
IMG_1075.JPG

This is why you should ALWAYS run two straps front and two straps back! Frankly... the good old days of chain with bolts through the links and a tensioner were the best. Slow to load and unload, but practically 100% secure.

Enjoy your new project. Be sure to put a Mopar engine in it!

I've had GOOD luck with all my harbor freight straps. The light and heavy duty ones! Never had the ratcheting mechanism fail and never had the webbing /strap break. But this might be caused by me using a dozen or so straps with my harbor freight winch and the harbor freight come a long.. I know there is better equipment available on the market. But it works for me! Just my experience so far...............

As a former Loadmaster with the USAF, I can attest to having proper restraint when moving vehicles and freight not just on transport aircraft but towed wheeled vehicles. One can never have enough. In place of those Harbor Freight ones. look for CGU-1b's aircraft tie down straps. Many have been taken out of the inventory but routinely turn up in the after market. They are rated at 5000lbs each and work great when tying down vehicles weighing less than 500lbs. Two for forward and two for aft will keep that vehicle nice and secure. They are a ratchet type. Anything greater than 500lbs will need a chain and device set up. Interesting score you got there. Should be a fun project...cr8crshr/Bill:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::usflag::usflag::usflag:

Elementary yes - nylon or web straps don't mate with sharp or even not so sharp rough edges..

Auto Transport Service
Back