• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hard block or block filler in a 440 block

theman440

Local time
1:55 AM
Reaction score
Anybody out there use Hardblock or some other block filler on thier 440? How deep did you go and how did it effect (if at all) the cooling (temperture control) of the engine?

Thank you.

We run a filled 360 block on the street. Filled to the bottom of. The water pump holes. It has a small oil cooler. Oil temp stay good in in the summer. No
Issues.
Doug

A friend that runs F/Stock Duster has his filled about the same as above. ^^ He used HardBlock. Has to be about 5 years now.Never heard any complaints.

Have done lots of half fills on gas motors and a few tall fills on alky engines. Oil temp isn’t a concern on the alky stuff but a cooler always helps the gas engines. I run a rubber hose through the block drains and up through a water hole and cut it flush with the deck and bolt a torque plate on. Once set, pull the hose out and you’ll still have functional block drains.

A buddy and I did a BB up to the bottoms of the core plug holes. He drove it on the street with no heating issues.....but it wasn't a daily driver/grocery getter but probably could have been.

I used Portland cement {old school filler}
put a hammer drill against the side of the block
to make sure all the air was shaken out of the pour
up-to the bottom of the freeze-plugs

I've done it on several street/strip engines never had any problems...

Temps stayed good in water & oil...
Royal Purple Purple Ice water/coolant additive
Torco Racing Oil TR-1R 20-50w
my last one made over 700hp in a 383/479ci
{ran 9.77 @ 135 N/A & a best of 8.58 @ 156 on 300 shot N20/trick Quickfuel dominator}
ran at 190*f all day long even in this Calif. 100* summers
Mancini Racing alum. 3 core down flow 22" rad. w-a custom shroud
w-2950cfm puller fan
{Perma-Cool 16" alum. fan & Perma-Cool 13" alum fan, but never needed to use it much}
also an aux. 2650cfm pusher, just in case
electric Pro-Form 37gpm water pump in a MP Alum w/p housing,
w-5/8" restrictor in the place of the thermostat
that same car is still running around Sacramento area,
it's been freshened up IIRC, it has the single dominator still
I sold it to him in 2007-ish
but the new owner didn't/hasn't have/had any issues either,
I had over 12,000 street miles on it myself, 100+ passes
he's more than doubled that miles, plays with it on the street mostly
claims still runs 9.90's "allegedly"...

I use Halco machine grout.

I'll have an answer in the spring.

I had over 12,000 street miles on it myself, 100+ passes
he's more than doubled that miles, plays with it on the street mostly
prier0.gif

First car I had a factory oil temp gauge in was my 82 Collectors Edition (slow *** dog) Corvette. Keeping the gas to the floor really made the oil temp climb. That was a real eye opener.

You can try FigSpeed in Henderson.

Auto Transport Service
Back