• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hard Brake Line Connector Colors

archangel

Local time
9:30 AM
Reaction score
I am replacing the original hard brake lines on my '70 Super Bee. I ordered a set from Inline Tube. When I received them I was surprised to see that the connectors/fittings were color coded. Is that factory correct?

I reached out to Inline Tube who confirmed that it is. I am just looking for a second opinion before I install them.

I do not seeing anything about color coding in my MMC (Dave Wise) manual but it is a big manual so maybe it's there somewhere. I also do not see any color on the few original lines that I have already removed. Of course maybe the coloring worn off over time.

Oh, not that it matters but I have drum brakes all of the way around.

'69, but ya...

beerestoration2017 1486.JPG

As luck would have it MMC just replied to my email query from a few days ago. To their knowledge Mopar did not color code the actual connectors/fittings.

dadsbee, so those are factory original lines going to the master cylinder?

I believe colored fittings are correct. The attached pictures are from my first 'Bird, back in the mid 90's. I purchased the lines as reproduction factory originals. The front fitting is blue, it appears, and the rear was purple. This is a 1970 with power discs in front, drums in the rear.

IMG_20220513_115250510.jpg IMG_20220513_114914898.jpg

I have never seen colored fittings on brake lines, and I have been playing with old Mopars since I got my first 63 Plymouth in 1972. I have worked on, and scrapped, a bunch of them over the years.

My '67 factory fittings have no color coding. Took off originally master cylinder when I changed to front disc's. That was the 1st time a wrench had ever been on the fittings.

Thank you everyone for your input and pictures. I am striving for as factory correct as practical so I think I will investigate the feasibility of stripping off the coloring before installing.

I have to admit that the coloring is sort of cool looking. If I were doing a resto mod or just fixing a daily driver I would be inclined to leave it as is especially since practically speaking the only fittings that are readily visible are at the master cylinder.

Auto Transport Service
Back