• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hard starter

belvedere 67

Local time
10:08 AM
Reaction score
hey guys got an issue with my belvedere. She is a hard starter. Its a 383 4 speed car with a mild cam. I have a new edelbrock 750 with a manual choke , Alum offenhousen intake , new plug wires , new plugs. Shes got good spark but it is a bitch to start. I can crank it for a couple of min. until she fires and finally starts. Sometime the battery gets worn down before she goes. Where should I start?

Cold start or re-start?

If the starter is drawing a bunch of power, it may be causing the ignition system to be down on voltage. How are you using the manual choke? I've had plenty of cars without a choke and was able to fire them off without much of a problem even in cold weather. What is your ignition setup and have you done any tests as of yet? The more we know about your car, the better we might be able to diagnose it.....

it happens on a cold start. I pull out the choke so the carb should be closed , pump it a few times and turn the key. It keeps turning over but not firing. So I pump it a few more times and them it smells like fuel so I'm guessing its flooded. So I hold it to the floor then it fires but its so loaded up with fuel that when it does start I have to rev the piss out of it to burn out the excess fuel. Its starting to piss me off. it does have electronic ignition. Any more ideas?

I know the feeling. How many days has it sat before start attempt? I go maybe 5 times to the floor before spinning. If you have an electric pump, let it run to prime for a few seconds in advance as well. The description given sounds like a hot re-start scenario that happens with mine. Cold is a matter of pumping and a little nursing to idle.

STOP! TIME OUT! The first question is with this problem. How long has the car sat before doing this? If it sat more than a week, sure nuff you'll have this problem. Squirt some gas down the throat and watch it fire.

69a100 might be right. I started a thread on this hard start thing. After sitting my bowls dried up. 1 shot of starting fluid down carb ( hated doing this ) and she fired up 1st time then would die because it would burn it off. Now I installed my electric fuel pump in ( bye bye fuel drying up problem ) Had this problem with the mechanical pump plus gas was boiling off when dragging around town ( even with a phoenalic spacer )

Auto Transport Service
Back