• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hardtop vs. SE

Chad Witham

Local time
7:16 AM
Reaction score
9200C3BD-3414-4703-921A-3C97CE760496.jpeg
67BEA6B4-6541-4DAC-9A7B-56C928CED21E.jpeg
876C97A8-7B8B-4093-BF0F-628B6B65A99E.jpeg
I have searched and searched the inter web apparently not using the correct terms.

How can one tell the difference in the two? I’m pretty sure mine isn’t a SE but I have no idea.

SE:
Vin WP29
Chromed finish on grills and tail lights. Grills with a red insert
Tipically Brougham interior ( not mandatory, because the brougham interior is not exclusive or part of the SE package, but tipically )
Flat Hood

73s got the option on SE to get roll down quarter glass but is not a common option. They are usually all with louvers

73_Charger_total0009.jpg

If I remember correctly, the rear quarter windows had the plugs in the opening that made it like you were looking out of slatted window louvers. Also there were other things like the stainless trim around the front edge of the hood and fenders and around the rear lip of trunk lid and rear quarters. I believe the tail light lenses had silver paint around the edge of the lens and the housings were chromed. Also, I think the grille had the red bar in it and the fins were chromed. I may have some of this incorrect.
Terry .

If that car got bulged hood from factory, its a Rallye, package A57 on fender tag, available on Coupes ( WL21 with fixed windows ) or Hardtops ( WH23 with roll down quarter window )

I see Nacho posted when I did. As he stated, VIN is the biggest clue as other stuff can be changed over the years. Seems I seen the stainless trim on front of hood, fenders, and on rear of quarters and trunk lid.

Those molds are not part neither exclusive to SE models.

and, well, the louver setup is not a piece of cake to remove. Some kind of "deep" body mods needs to be done to cut B pillar and enlarge drip rails

Ok so it’s definitely considered a hardtop then. It has black taillight housings no chrome. No louvered windows.

No A57 that I see on fendertag so the bulge is an addition by previous owner, which I believe is what he told us when we bought it

I posted the rest of the package because Lynch Road cars didn't got the A57 code on fender tag, but some of the Rallye parts coded such as hood and rallye stripe. A57 still was coded on buildsheet thought. If your car got the bulged hood and Rallye cluster, you have the expensive parts to get to build a Rallye clone... which is not a big deal to make on 73/74s. 72s are harder because doors and tail lights change too.

Being your tail lights and grilles are painted, the chrome could be down the paint, BUT being is not a louvered quarter windows, thats the most visible sign is not an SE ( althought still could be one of the really uncommon SEs with the roll down quarter glass option ). VIN is the definitelly answer.

its nice to see if the bulged hood was added, is even the correct one for the year, 73! Every 71/74 got hood differences ( no matter if bulged or flat ) what can tell you the hood year and this is the rear grill setup. Your car got the correct 73 piece.

Sometimes you can see some clones with incorrect year hood. Not a big deal, but just about correctnes

Nacho is spot on but I'll add for clarity that an SE could have been optioned with one of the other vinyl roof styles like "halo" which would IIRC have then gotten the roll down rear windows.

We have a couple members here with that combo IIRC.

Also "spring special roof option looked like normal SE but without louvers and still fixed windows.

The most important, as Nacho pointed out is the VIN.

WP is SE
(most SE cars, but not all, also got the rally dash)

WL is base an usually has fixed rear windows but no louvers.
(Most base cars didn't get wood grain dash clusters or pass side inserts, just black and silver)

WH is "standard" and usually has roll down rears.

Again, keep in mind that if the dealer knew how to delete/replace while making an order, you could order a bulge hood on ANY car, even SE.

SE = fixed B-pillar = hardtop

No fixed b-pillar = coupe

You have a coupe. As another poster mentioned, you could have ordered an SE and deleted the opera windows, but that wasn't commonly done.

several statements just to add info or even some corrections ( if they fit ).

Rallye cluster is standard on SEs... NOW, if somebody decided to change that to standard cluster per order at dealer that's another story. We have had a discussion about that quite ago somewhere, and so far so good, even has being mentioned, some ppl has known about one or two... but if Roll down SE quarter glasses are not common, the SEs without rallye cluster could be the rarest of all. Somebody told the phrase NOTHING WAS AN OPTION EVERYTHING WAS AN OPTION to Mopar.

SE is not Hardtop except those mentioned with the delete louver setup but STILL will be WP29 on VIN. Regulars SEs are B pillared while hardtops no. These SEs with hardtop setup is JUST a 73 deal

Coupes are the same than hardtops just glasses hold by a bracket on top of opening, so not a real coupe by what it means really a coupe being "pillared"

SEs with bulged hoods is a bit more about same discussion about the standard cluster on them. I just can talk about what manuals and dealerships catalogs say. I think these should be coded on tag and buildsheet to prove that.

The "Spring speciall Roof" actually is M07 code, which means Opera window without louvers BUT thats a 74 model option, not 73. And was not exclusive to Spring Special models, and was not even standard on Spring Special Models, just common. There is a 74 Rallye with 360 and M07 roof treatment around, and is coded still being a Rallye.

Same as the mid body side rallye stripes was an option on any model JUST on 74s, not 73s ( including SEs ) but standard just on rallyes and Spring Special ( Spring Special with the copper one as standard ). By 73 the rallye stripes were Black and red gradated. On 74 Copper gradated and gold gradated were a new adition to the options. I think never have seen a Gold one yet.

Not saying I have the full word on these, but what I have learnt and collected.

7D283AFC-D6B0-469D-A1BB-ADCCACB99AC9.jpeg
So is it safe to assume this car has the Rallye cluster Standard since the dash wood grain also? It’s hard for me to make out what gauge pod it has aside from it’s woodgrain.

SE = fixed B-pillar = hardtop

No fixed b-pillar = coupe

You have a coupe. As another poster mentioned, you could have ordered an SE and deleted the opera windows, but that wasn't commonly done.

You got this backwards!

View attachment 710903 So is it safe to assume this car has the Rallye cluster Standard since the dash wood grain also? It’s hard for me to make out what gauge pod it has aside from it’s woodgrain.

Standard sweep style gauge cluster , basicly it's a stripper with a power buldge hood added ! Sweet car non the less . I would love to own it !

Is the standard Cluster. Tipically of a WH23 car but non Rallye packaged. A WL21 which would be the flat model will get no woodgrain inserts or finish anywhere ( aside the fixed quarter glasses ). Black dash insert on passenger side, color matched door panels where you got woodgrain inserts there, silver finish where that cluster is woodgrained.

It seems was originally column shifter and was changed to floor shifter car with an aftermarket setup? Or is originally a manual transmission on a bench car with aftermarket handle?

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back