• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Harmonic Balancer Pulley removal on 318 Poly

Piranhaz

Local time
4:53 PM
Reaction score
Hey all. I'm having a hard time finding any info on removing the lower pulley on the 318 Poly I just bought (in 66 Coronet). It appears that it's all one assembly? How do I remove it? I noticed there are two holes inside the pulley. Are they threaded and is this where I attach a puller? Any help is appreciated. I didn't want to wreck anything trying to remove it.

I am removing it because I need to remove the timing chain cover housing so I can replace leaking gaskets on the block side. If anyone has any tips for reassembly, I'm all ears!

Thanks

pZk54TED_gtP4l9NweIpbO4Er1aCCjNHGyhx1bEUUMlMjqssOs5v4VLXDxyLKVAz0UidbvK=w1245-h937-no?authuser=0.jpg

Last edited:
It just comes off like any other pulley. Nothing special. Thread the tool into the hole and then wind it out.
You are removing the timing chain cover? Pain in the *** to reassemble with the sump on, you may have to trim the tabs off the seal that sits on the bottom of the cover.
You need to be careful pressing back in the crankshaft seal too, make sure it's square in the hole and is facing the right way (spring side in). Put a little grease on the spring when you're knocking it in to stop the spring flying out.
That should be enough info to get you started, it's a straightforward job but has a few fiddly bits.

It just comes off like any other pulley. Nothing special. Thread the tool into the hole and then wind it out.
You are removing the timing chain cover? Pain in the *** to reassemble with the sump on, you may have to trim the tabs off the seal that sits on the bottom of the cover.
You need to be careful pressing back in the crankshaft seal too, make sure it's square in the hole and is facing the right way (spring side in). Put a little grease on the spring when you're knocking it in to stop the spring flying out.
That should be enough info to get you started, it's a straightforward job but has a few fiddly bits.

I will have the oil pan off also, so I'm guessing that will help the process a little?
I don't know what you mean by the spring? Is it on the seal? Might make more sense once I get it out of there?

There's a small spring around the inside perimeter of the seal.
Having the sump off helps a lot. Put it on last.

20201016_152607.jpg

The oil seal has a coil spring that runs around the inside of the seal, that seal has to be installed so the spring faces the engine. Make sure the mating surface is clean and you can add a light coat of RTV to the surface.

Auto Transport Service
Back