• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Has Anyone Added A Auxillary Fuse Panel To Their B-Body?

soundhd

Local time
5:47 PM
Reaction score
Looking at different ways to be able to "safely" add more electrical circuits to my 1970 RR convertible. It already has factory A/C and along with the power top pretty sure the "accessory" circuit is at it's max. Want to be able to add power windows & locks, alarm system, nice sound system, etc...you get the picture...don't really want to get into replacing all the wiring with an aftermarket kit..anyway found that Painless has "sub" panels with 3-7 circuits......looks like it would be right up my alley.........just wondering if anyone has added any of these to their B Body........

thanks

Yes, I completely rewired my car a couple of years ago using a universal 12 circuit harness. In the last year I added a lot of stuff I didn't figure on at first. I bought a Painless 'Cirkit Boss' 7 circuit fuse box / harness. It added 3 circuits that are always 'hot' and 4 that are 'keyed hot'. Worked out very well. I mounted it inside on the left side of the firewall right next to my 12 circuit fuse box.

I have just recently added a 6 circuit auxillary fuse panel to my 69 roadrunner. It was needed to eliminate the mess I had piggybacked into the factory fuse panel including electric fuel pump, cooling fan, nitrous solenoids w/purge, and tachometer. I sourced the power from the starter relay post under the hood and used 6 awg wire with an in-line 60 amp maxi fuse. I mounted the auxillary 6 circuit panel above the factory panel.

I added two, four fuse mini ANL fuse panels (total of eight additional fused circuits), but they take up alot of space. Some of the circuits are for stereo sub amp, Headlights running through relays with fuse, EFI system, CD Ignition, Cooling Fans, A/C system, Fuse for power going to the bulkhead, and Alternator to Battery fuse.

This is stop-gap to support the QTP's, power windows, ac, Valentine 1, Garmin, and dash cams. Car needs complete rewire. The box pictured comes from West Marine, high quality stuff and works well for now. Make sure the hood hinge does not crush the box when closing if you mount in this area. Ask me how I know. image.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back