• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Has anyone bought a crate 5.7 and used it with a A833?

70chall440

Local time
4:14 PM
Reaction score
I ordered a crate 5.7 from JEGS which is now shipping to me. I intend to put this engine in my 71 Charger and run a A833 behind it (please don't tell me to run a Tremec, I already have the 4spd and intend to use it). The crate motor comes with a flywheel, clutch and PP.

Anyway, I have some questions that I am hoping someone can answer;

1. After some research it seems that I cannot use the PP or clutch because they are for a new model LX (Challenger), can anyone confirm this?

2. I have read that I cannot use the flywheel because it puts the starter on the pass side, anyone know if this is correct?

3. Anyone have any recommendations on serpentine systems? I intend to use factory stuff, my question is more about which factory set up since there seems to be a number of differences. I do intend on running PS and possibly AC (the car is a factory AC car).

I realize I will figure this all out in time but I am trying to get prepared.

I greatly appreciate any help and/or information

The small block bellhousing will bolt up and the starter will be drivers side (if you are using old school bellhousing or a QuickTime). The clutch/pp are a different size than the input shaft on the A833.

Not sure on the rest.

Thanks I appreciate it, I figured the clutch and PP would be a long shot but was hoping the flywheel would work. All is not lost, I can keep them as replacements for the transmission in my 10 Challenger RT.

Car ac position is going to interfere with the motor mount if I remember from mine. It probably hits the k member too.
You have to make an adaptation in the ps system, the oem pump is too high psi. There are bolt on solutions to this.

Power steering.....use a GM Type 2 pump, works perfect!

Car ac position is going to interfere with the motor mount if I remember from mine. It probably hits the k member too.
You have to make an adaptation in the ps system, the oem pump is too high psi. There are bolt on solutions to this.

I haven't given a lot of thought to the AC and to be honest I don't know a lot about AC overall. I will do a lot of research when I get to that point.

The holes are just a tad bit off for the pump to bolt on, next size drill bit takes care of that. You can get them with/out reservoir. I did a remote so the fluid had a bit more time for cooling.

The holes are just a tad bit off for the pump to bolt on, next size drill bit takes care of that. You can get them with/out reservoir. I did a remote so the fluid had a bit more time for cooling.

Thanks again, do you have any pictures of your setup?

Just looked at a variety of type 2 pumps, seems like there are a bunch of them.

I’ll try to find some, car was sold years ago.

If you can't its cool, there are a number online along with some videos. All good but i want to thank you for the info. Do you remember what you used for an alternator?

Stock alternator.

Auto Transport Service
Back