Has anyone experience with the new Repro grille for a 68 Charger ?

1968 -1970 Mopars

1. Moparjack 489

Moparjack 489 FBBO Gold Member FBBO Gold Member

Local Time:
    4:52 PM
    anyone has buy it and install it in his 68 Charger, or seen it how it look in realty and about the quality ?

C717D218-6586-4F11-9DF9-E2D98F7CEFDA.png

2. Cncguy1

Cncguy1 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    10:52 AM
    I can usually tell when someone is using them, the perimeter or outside edge of the grille is warped in places. Not sure if they have worked to correct this.

3. Moparjack 489

Local Time:
    Sounds not good

4. FrnkNsteen

FrnkNsteen FBBO Gold Member FBBO Gold Member

Local Time:
    I was considering doing that for my '69 and was I would be WAY better off restoring my old one. Apparently they are a lot thinner too, and don't fit as nice. I ended up getting some OEM replacement pieces and we are redoing the one I had. Sometimes you don't have the option of an original, so I'm glad they are making them, but as I said,.... I was told I was better off going original if possible.

• Like Like x 1
    • Moparjack 489

Local Time:
      Thanks , I think it too ! Can you tell me a good restoration shop for restore my original one after the damn car accident I had

• FrnkNsteen

FrnkNsteen FBBO Gold Member FBBO Gold Member

Local Time:
      I have names of a couple people I met at the Mopar show here in Indiana. I believe they are both from Missouri, but I don't have their cards here. I will try to find their cards when I get home from work.

• Like Like x 1
      • Moparjack 489

Local Time:
        Thanks man !!!

• beanhead

beanhead Well-Known Member

Local Time:
        7:52 AM
        The thing that gets me with stuff like this, is they charge you an arm and a testicle for it... for that kind of money it better fit and function exactly as the original. But as everybody knows, Chargers or the hot ticket item right now so.... you pay the premium. I don't remember the cost of the nice GTX, Roadrunner, or other grilles but they're WAY less

• Agree Agree x 1
        • 69bfan

69bfan FBBO Vendor FBBO Sponsor

Local Time:
          A Charger grill is very complex as compared to the other 68 to 70 B-Body grills. Take one of these grills apart and you will discover some very unique hardware not found in any of the other grills. I know even back in the mid 80s, I could get good money for a good used grill and some of the original grill surround trim was still available from Chrysler.

Price a Duster grill or a a 71 Cuda grill and they still are still far more simplistic than any of the Charger grills.

I agree that far the money, you would think that the quality would be better on some of these reproduction pieces. But unfortunately as the attention to the details increases, so does the cost and the trick becomes at what point will it impact the sales.

• Moparjack 489

Local Time:
          Thank you guys, but has anyone really seen and install this new reproduction grille‘s in his own Charger, maybe in a new AMD support headlight frame? I like to see a real picture from a 68 charger with these new reproduction grille .

About the price for the new Plastik Repro Grille i will say it’s be Little less then you look for a Original restored one i think .
          But anywhere I think the best solution for me is to found some good Restauration shop who can perfect repair my original charger grille .
          Has anyone some address from a professional grill Restauration shop so please let me know it .
          Thank you all , guys !!!

Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
        • Don selleck

Don selleck FBBO Gold Member FBBO Gold Member

Local Time:
          heres one 20171114_125823.jpg looks a lot better than my 50 years old one, plastic is softer, as with all aftermarket parts there was some filing and drilling to get it to lay close this is not its final install this was last winter, I'm still waiting on engine to be completed then final install, if I can ever find any time.

• Like Like x 1
          • Moparjack 489

Local Time:
            Thank s so much ! You put it in the “ old “ headlight support or use a AMD Repro Frame ?

• Don selleck

Local Time:
            old support blasted, primed, painted. bought the bolt kit but the plastic washers for the top looked very cheesy so I blasted clean the old one's with walnut shells they look way better. save everything when you take that apart, I think I used some of the old bolt also.

• Like Like x 1
            • Don selleck

Local Time:
              I do have my old one some of the pieces are still good, and I got another one , I was gonna try to restore my original, but with the rest of the massive project I took on with the car, and the brittleness of the old ones, plus I was still missing one of the corners on the bottom ends, saved me a lot of time to buy the repro. I heard you can use acetone to melt legos down to repair them if originality is a necessity.

• Like Like x 1
              • Moparjack 489

Local Time:
                I had and have a really really nice original and complete restored one from a professional restorer , I think it was J&T plastic restoration or something like that.! But in beginning this year I had a sad accident with my Charger , and my nice and perfect grille are get some damage .... now I was looking for this restoration shop again in the internet , but I not found it again this shop. Maybe there are never exist anymore ?
                Now I searching for a good address where I can ship my damaged whole grille for professional rebuild and paint . If anyone knows some shop’s who did this professional plastic grille restorations please let me know the contact data’s .
                Thank all in adavanve !

• Moparjack 489

Local Time:
                Just for interesting Don, the Repro was paintet silver already by the manufacturer , or the grille parts comes just unpainted ?

• Don selleck

Local Time:
                came painted

• Like Like x 1
                • tmaleck

tmaleck FBBO Gold Member FBBO Gold Member

Local Time:
                  9:52 AM
                  I have the AMD frame coming and this grill just got dropped off this morning. I'll be assembling it over the next couple weeks. I also have a lot of original parts (more than enough to make a nice complete grill) but I want to run this aftermarket if it fits OK just so I don't risk damaging rare and valuable OE stuff.

• Like Like x 1
                  • Moparjack 489

Local Time:
                    It will nice to you report after you finish you’re assembly complete to tell as you satisfied with the whole thing and how are the different ( goods and Bads) from the Repro vs original one
                    Thanks in advance

• tmaleck

tmaleck FBBO Gold Member FBBO Gold Member

Local Time:
                    9:52 AM
                    My new Classic Industries grill came in yesterday. I took a ton of photos, I'll post a couple here. They are the center section, left and right extensions with doors temporarily in place.
                    grill_new_center_front.jpg grill_both_left_extension_door_together.jpg grill_new_old_right_extentions_together.jpg

I have not tried to fit anything yet but I like the overall quality. I see what might be warpage, but when I look at the originals, they have similar defects. The paint lines are clean, and while the new parts may be slightly lighter, they seem sturdy enough. I suspect I'll need some patience and maybe a heat gun when putting this together. I'll take photos of the process and post them as I get time. So far, I would say this grill is more than good enough for even a nicely restored daily driver, we'll see over time.
                    Links to all of the unboxing pics: https://app.box.com/s/z16g2uyn3w2fq1u0tnmmal635kfetj9r
                    Link to my original grill being disassembled: https://app.box.com/s/xdfm9yy3fifwxf04llznetmbmz2qghom

Tim

• Like Like x 3
                    1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
                      By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.