Has anyone heard of police car Chargers going up for sale?

General Discussion

1. SteveSS

SteveSS Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    12:03 PM
    I know cops go through cars pretty quickly. It seems like all the Crown Vics must be gone. I am going to an impound lot sale on Saturday. I would think the police cars are at a different venue. Has anyone heard how to buy police cars?

One thing I heard is cop cars idle for a long time so mileage doesn't reflect it's use.

2. the mississippi madman

the mississippi madman FBBO Gold Member FBBO Gold Member

Local Time:
    1:03 PM
    They sell them all the time usually with 90,000 miles or more. Older ones usually go in between 2500-3000 bad shape and 7000-9000 for ok shape. Newer ones are usually around 13,000-15,000

3. YY1

YY1 Well-Known Member

My Photo Garage
    Local Time:
    2:03 PM
    I believe it depends on the policy of the jurisdiction or municipality, plus the auction laws of your state.

There are all sorts of Charger ex-cop cars driving around in FL, some as new as 2013.

Note that they are column shift even though you can not buy a column shift car from the dealer.

IN OH, anyone can go to the auto auction and I remember cop cars from various jurisdictions being sold for $500 circa 1998.

In FL, you have to be a licensed dealer to bid at auto auctions.

Cop cars in 1999 were averaging $3000, quite the difference from OH just the year before.

4. YY1

YY1 Well-Known Member

My Photo Garage
    Local Time:
    There was a '13 Charger ex FHP on CL about 3 months ago 120K miles advertised for 10K.

Too much for me.

5. the mississippi madman

Local Time:
    SmartSelectImage_2018-03-13-11-24-52.png
    This v6 one has 123,000 miles sold for 5800

6. hunt2elk

hunt2elk FBBO Gold Member FBBO Gold Member

My Photo Garage
    Local Time:
    The village I live near always puts their used cop car vehicles up for sealed bids every 2 years when buying a new one. Their last one was a Charger, but I forget what it went for. Wasn't a lot though.

7. Billccm

Billccm FBBO Gold Member FBBO Gold Member

Local Time:
    11:03 AM
    Crown vics have an engine hour meter in the ecu. You need a scan tool, or sequence of trip odometer pushes to access.

I bought my crown vic police from a car broker hat visited auctions. I wanted a plain clothes police crown vic. I paid the broker $600 over aucton price to trailer from Yuma to Tucson and title work.

It was a reliable ride. Bought in 1997 with 106k miles for around 5 grand, sold in 2007 with 200k miles for 3 grand. Air conditioning was the only major repair.

Daily driver now is a 2009 grand marquise that I highly recommend over a police crown vic. Find some blue hair selling her low mileage cream puff for 5 grand.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Darter6

Darter6 FBBO Gold Member FBBO Gold Member

Local Time:
      You can check with the Cities municipalities in your area.In my case Las Vegas has a big auction you can buy anything from A to Z.It may even be several times a year.
      Around here I see many old Charger cop cars running around. Local body shop had 2 that they are painting now for customers.Both were Black & Whites.

• the mississippi madman

Local Time:
      I'm looking for a cheap one for a daily driver too

• BeepBeepRR

BeepBeepRR Well-Known Member

My Photo Garage
      Local Time:
      Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
    • G.V.Charger

G.V.Charger Well-Known Member

Local Time:
      Just caught an issue of Chrysler Power. They have an article with the kid Ava. Anyways, they got a chance to check out some Ohio state police cars, and, 5.7 hemi AWD Charger police cars. Must be a special order?

• rumblefish360

rumblefish360 Well-Known Member

My Photo Garage
      Local Time:
      Here in New York, the Island at least, the cars go up for auction. Along with what the police confiscate.

• TxDon

TxDon FBBO Gold Member FBBO Gold Member

Local Time:
      Look on Ebay, search Cars and Trucks and type in Police, you will see dozens of them. Also check local auction sites that contract with cities. City patrol cars are the worst because they literally are never turned off, just passed between shifts, idled most of the time then jumped on and jumping curbs. Best IMO is an ex highway patrol unmarked car, they are driving freeway speeds most of time and usually stay on the pavement plus they are very well maintained. Try to get the service records for the car if you can.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • aeon280

aeon280 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
        All the time. I purchased 2 a few years back for $1200. Both had less than 100k on them and had already spun rods. Still made money parting them out but would have rather had been able to get one running. If you find one for sell, take the time to go check it out. Crown Vics were bulletproof tank cars and the Chargers don't really hold up to the abuse the Police put them through. By the time they go to auction most are going to require significant repairs. Try to focus on municipal auctions in the nicer suburbs. They tend to spend more money on maintenance and flip their inventory more often.

• saleenmav

saleenmav Active Member

Local Time:
        One just sold this weekend near me for $4250 plus fees. 2012 hemi, 98k miles. Needed a rear bumper cover and had about a softball size dent at the rear of the passenger quarter. I stopped bidding at $4000. By the time you buy a new interior and do repairs you'd have probably had about $7500 in it after fees. There's a nice one on Ebay right now for $7900. That's about where I see them go for.

• kiwigtx

kiwigtx International Mod Staff Member FBBO Gold Member

My Photo Garage
        Local Time:
        6:03 AM
        If they are anything like used NZ Police cars....stay away from them. Anything under the rear seats resembling cornflakes should not be touched by human hands......it will be dried vomit. :eek:

I know a guy who worked in the car-conversion industry....turning regular cars into Police cars....and sometimes had to do repairs on cars in service. Some of the stuff they found was unbelievable. Their boss hauled them up one day when the boys were horsing around posing for pictures holding some of the weapons mistakenly left in a Patrol car. :D

• Lazerwolf

Lazerwolf Well-Known Member

Local Time:
      • YY1

YY1 Well-Known Member

My Photo Garage
        Local Time:
        ...and there's my 10K price estimate.

bada bing

• Lazerwolf

Lazerwolf Well-Known Member

Local Time:
        I looked at these cars and know the owner of the lot. These are all column shift with heavy duty electrical systems. I believe they had to create a cover plate for the console where all the former police equipment attached. They looked at trying convert these to a console shift but it was more involved then they wanted to get into so left them with column shifts.

• Auggie56

Auggie56 FBBO Gold Member FBBO Gold Member

Local Time:
        I still see C Vs in service here in Toledo still along with the newer Fraud SUVs. The last performer on the deparment was the 96' Caprice. There was a company in the SW somewhere that was rebuilding the 90's Caprice cop cars to new condition. The last Mopar was that one built on a Volare platform. 318 engines with highway gear, they were the biggest joke on the street due to lack of speed.