• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Has anyone here bought a car at a Mecum auction?

Imperial One

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:57 AM
Reaction score
I am looking hard for a B Body. Many interest me and I have been bidding/inquiring about quite a few. I'd be happy with almost any B body from '63 to '70. I've bid on a nice '68 Hemi Roadrunner and a nice Hemi Belvedere II. But a car on Mecum has really caught my eye:

Screenshot 2022-04-17 at 23-36-05 1967 Plymouth GTX F82 Indy 2022 Mecum Auctions.jpg

The appeal to me is:

1. Colour combo of red and black is exactly what I would prefer
2. 5 speed manual transmission
3. Air conditioning
4. Front disc brakes
5. Magnum 500s and red lines
6. It "says" it has a documented rotisserie restoration
7. A smaller issue, but it says an original engine car (a bonus but I personally don't really care)

Here is a link to the auction:

https://www.mecum.com/lots/SC0522-502513/1967-plymouth-gtx/

I am just starting my due diligence on the car. But in the mean time I am wondering about the practicality of buying at Mecum. I have read the info on line and watched their videos. But I am finding the information fairly thin.

Has anyone here bought from Mecum that wouldn't mind answering a few questions for me?

Thanks.

Haven't bought one from a auction but Meecum seems most reasonably priced. Depending on what day they are sold, Friday and Saturday cars are usually higher class and higher priced. Did you check with them to find out how much their buying premium is? 10% on a $100,000 car is another 10 grand out of your pocket. Don't get in a hurry and keep looking for the right car. As long as you have the money ready you should be good.

Looks like a $30-$39K car. Not an original restoration. Some corners cut. Need to see in person.

I’d call this a “restified” car. Lightly purposely modified.

Need to find these cars before they go to auction. So you can inspect the and drive them in your own time. And not pay stupid auction prices.

The price trend appears to be buy early from Mecum. Sell late. There has been some that sneak by at some decent price. But once Sat starts? I would walk if buying.

No rule is ever 100% But there is some patterns to suggest that this observation may be true.

Five speed, air, disc brakes and fuel injection would make that GTX a far nicer driver than a bone stock restoration.

There is no rhyme or reason when it comes to auction pricing. I've seen absolute turds bring strong money midweek, nice cars go for cheap, and mediocre cars go for insane money on Saturday, so you never know. Friday through Sunday are the prime days and that GTX is one of the stars on Friday, so it should see some action.

People buy and sell thousands of cars each year at Mecum and BJ. The best thing to do is go in person and inspect the car for yourself-there's always the perfumed pigs at the auction, but that GTX does have photo documentation and looks like a nice build.

Bid whatever you're comfortable with and don't forget to add in the 10% buyer premium.

Car restored by VRT Restoration (notice 1/4 window sticker)

General all makes shop. Is "shutdown for further notice".

I would open up a post here asking if anyone is familiar with VRT Restoration in Ruckersville Virginia. Do your homework first.

Looks like they had a red Hemi and 440 GTX nearly identical.

IMHO, it looks like an all makes shop did it... painted hood spring, Chevy master and booster, black painted gas tank. The car was restored at least in 2012 by the picture dates. It's at least a 10 year old resto.

As always: check Fender Tag, VIN on door frame. The 67 down cars don't have VIN matching blocks, they just have date codes. But where are the body stampings on a 67 B-body? I think that will have the SO number on it. Then the Build Sheet connects the S.O. number to the body.

Is this an original 4-speed car? I think if it was, they would mention it. And, is red the original color?

Overall, it sounds like a good match for the OP. But be careful, 66-67 cars do not bring the money as the 68-70. Adjust your price limit accordingly.

I would have a hard NO BUY limit at: $50K. $40K+ would have to show well and be original red and/or 4spd car. If original brown column auto... under $40K

Those are out the door prices. If you bought from a private party you would adjust the bill of sale to pay far less in sales tax. And then you have sellers fees.

upload_2022-4-18_0-0-53.png

upload_2022-4-18_0-0-43.png

upload_2022-4-18_0-1-5.png

upload_2022-4-18_0-1-16.png

upload_2022-4-18_0-1-23.png

Last edited:
I attended Mecum Harrisburg in 2019 when I was preparing to put my '69 #'s matching Track Pak GTX on the block, but Covid cancelled the 2020 event (my listing is still on their website.) I was able to look at a few nice B bodies up close. A '69 A12 Road Runner went for low 50s, seemed like a really good deal for the condition, but white with blue interior. A nice green '68 GTX convertible was bid to 60K, but didn't meet reserve. My car eventually sold for 63K at GAA Auctions in North Carolina last year, before inflation really took hold. The flipper who bought it from me paid way less, I offered the car at $49,500 on this site, and it didn't sell. As earlier posts mention, some nice cars have sold at Mecum really cheap in years past, and some pigs have generated inflated prices. I've seen some of the nice ones in person over the three decades I've attended the Chrysler Nationals.

There is no question you can get lucky and get a good deal, even with the 10% commission. But I would highly recommend being there in person, eyeballing the car yourself, before you bid. My current Hemi GTX, which I am thrilled with, was purchased from another FBBO member through this site. As a buyer, if you have the patience, I think this may be your better option. PM if want to discuss in greater detail.

eed to find these cars before they go to auction. So you can inspect the and drive them in your own time. And not pay stupid auction prices.

Agree. I know a guy who is frequently called in to inspect cars like this so the buyer doesn't end up paying for something that's not as advertised. That gets really expensive.

I have read that the cars all look nicer on TV.. The ones that seem like a good deal are not very nice cars in person.... Just what I read.....

Pretty looking car - but be wary of any car painted in what the used car salesmen call "fast sell red". :)

Looks like a $30-$39K car. Not an original restoration. Some corners cut. Need to see in person.

I’d call this a “restified” car. Lightly purposely modified.

Need to find these cars before they go to auction. So you can inspect the and drive them in your own time. And not pay stupid auction prices.

I would suggest '67 GTX prices are WELL ahead of the prices you suggest. I've had some near misses on them over the past couple years and $39k will not come remotely close to buying that car. Wish it was otherwise I can assure you.

So I have been looking for a couple years now and am not in a massive hurry (I have a Hellcat Redeye to play with in the meantime). On the other hand, time is fleeting and none of us is getting younger.

The '67 GTX at Mecum checks all the boxes for me, EXCEPT that I would much prefer to buy from a private party. I don't mind paying top buck for a great car. Upper limit for me is around $80-$85k. I could pay more, but then more consultation with "Her Ladyship" (my wife) would be necessary. She wouldn't be fussed about that amount. She might get upset at $150k though. On the other hand a $150k car would just be a trailer queen and that would not interest me at all. My plan is to drive the car everywhere (hence my desire for air conditioning and the 5 speed overdrive) and if it gets rained on or if I need to drive it on a gravel road that's how it goes.

Thanks for all the replies and advice. I really appreciate it.

I bought my '71 Challenger at a Mecum auction around 10 years ago. It turned out ok but I felt like I dodged a bullet or beginners luck or something. I had my eyes on several cars and did some homework on them. The first one didn't look so great when I saw it in person, the second car, people recognized the car when I asked around about it before the auction and said they'd seen it advertised recently for about twice what I was willing to bid.
A car I figured out of my league was running Saturday sort of late after the crowds had thinned. I threw in some bids more for laughs and grins than really thinking I'd get it. They dropped reserve and I told the bidder assistant I'd bid again, and she relayed my bid. A cameraman ran over and filmed me, I was waiting for another bid to come in, but it didn't happen, SOLD. People are patting me on the back. I'm sitting there like wtf!
Friends who saw me on the telecast said I had a look of shock on my face when I won!
I hadn't done homework on the car, and it went too cheap, so I'm thinking oh no, this cars got problems, I just screwed up!!! But then Greg Nelson from Mopar Ponderosa came over and said he used to own it and it's a nice car and call me sometime I will give you history.
I couldn't check the trunk until I bought it and got the keys, fortunately it was the most solid clean trunk I ever saw on a vintage Mopar. But no jack or spare. Car ran fine, all in all a decent experience.
But again, beginners luck I felt, a lot of stories I hear about sketchy cars getting sold at auctions so do homework, check car out personally, hire an expert to check it out, and don't let emotions get the best of you!!

I would suggest '67 GTX prices are WELL ahead of the prices you suggest. I've had some near misses on them over the past couple years and $39k will not come remotely close to buying that car. Wish it was otherwise I can assure you.

What do you think the price should be looking at pictures in USA dollars and location. Cars and parts sell for more in Canada typically.

The $39K was if color changed, column auto originally, or other combination of issues... like repop fender tag. or missing tag.

You said $80-$85K is your upper budget. And you've bid on a Hemi RR. A 68 Hemi RR is a ton more car than a 67 GTX 440-4spd

Auto Transport Service
Back