• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Has anyone ran Victor heads with l2295f pistons?

67 B-body

Local time
8:35 AM
Reaction score
I'm looking into new heads for my 440 build. I have standard stroke steel crank, .030" over L2295f pistons with .140" dome and Standard length 4130 H-Beam rods and the block has not been decked. My question is,,, will there be enough room if I go to the Eddy Victor heads and a .040" gasket? I understand there might need to be clearance made for the angled plugs "maybee", but I just don't know about dome to chamber clearance with the tight 75cc volume.
Any knowledge in this would be appreciated!!
Thanks

OK, how about any other type of domed piston with these heads, and what were the piston specs?
Thanks!! :)

I checked some old Jahn's pistons which are similar to the 2295's and they were kinda close in some areas. This was on a stock stroke .060 383.

It's probably a non issue but you should get some clay and roll the engine over once to get an imprint. Spray oil in the chamber and the piston so it doesn't stick then slice it in several areas and see what you got.

shape

Well, after some discussion with Edelbrock and Hughes, it seems as if the dome shape is designed for the "D" shape chamber @ .140" height. I am already setting up the lower end with a rod / piston in each of the four corners and bolting the heads down with a .040" gasket. I will then check for clearance issues and mark the domes for the machining needed. Now the lower assy will need re-balanced, but it's cheaper than a new set of forged pistons. about 11 bucks per piston for the re-shaping of the dome, and 100 bucks to spin up the crank again. Good news is, the pistons were a little on the heavy side before the needed machining. So this will help a bit in that area!
Thanks for the comments!

Also, this will help bring the working comp down a bit from the calculated 11.7:1 range. Maybe only a couple tenths or so, but I'm guessing 11.5:1 now. With the aluminum head it will be compared like a 10.5:1 steel head for driveability. Helps with premium pump gas tunning! I'll probably run a blend of fuel 80/20 - "PREMIUM / AV GAS" just to be sure,,, . A trip to the track will most likely yield 100% av gas. I have even kicked around the idea of setting up an Alchohol carb for the track. It's cheaper than high test racing gasoline, and AV Gas. I used to run Alchohol in the late model and stock car "circle track" . That stuff makes some good power, but you do use nearly twice as much in jet sizing. The hot summer days doesn't seem to chew up the engines power running alchohol too, so I'm realy leaning towards this option for the occasional weekend drag racing.

2295 pistons a bit on the heavy side is an understatement lol. Depending on the cam you use, you may be able to use pump gas. I helped a buddy build a 11.4 to one small block with iron heads and set it up for pump gas and it worked well on 93...

Well,,, to be honest, I realy haven't done much in regards to measuring the Solid camshaft I have "it was in a bracket car that the 67 440 came out of". I did the quick lift check of the lobes and found it has the same on exh and intake, ".612" with 1.6 ratio" and the lobes are pretty consistant with eachother. I still need to roll it with a dial indicator and degree wheel to calculate the durations and overlap. I'm not one to build a bunch of compression then let it all leak out with tons of overlap in the camshaft grind. Guess I never pursued that avenue because it just never made sence to me. So, the short of it is, if the camshaft specs come out to be something I like, i'll use it.
Yes,, the piston is pretty heavy, and milling the domes to fit the chamber correctly will certainly help it out. However, this engine wont see 7,000 rpm like some others are doing with the lighter types and it has a nice long skirt for added stability in the bore, and I do have a nice strong set of 4130 H beam rods and ARP bolts hanging from them so I should be OK for the occasional 6,500 rpm max range.
Thanks for the reply!!!:tongue8:

Auto Transport Service
Back