• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Has anyone tried a remanned Thermoquad from Rock Auto?

Montclaire

Local time
10:26 PM
Reaction score
I noticed that RA is showing several remanned Thermoquads for sale between $225-250. Has anyone tried one? I've always been leery of running a used TQ but I would consider it if I could start with a fresh unit at a reasonable price. I know the strip kits are hard to come by.

Application for me is going to be on a bone stock 360 LA roller motor with a cast iron 340 intake.

I wonder where the cores come from.

Could be a lottery to get factory HP application/year specific carbs.

They do seem to have different part numbers but I have no idea what the criteria is for each. Summit also sells remanned TQs (at nearly double the price) and one person said the number on his traced back to a marine application but it worked fine.

Last edited:
I tried one from summit a few years ago, but it was a hodge podge of parts with the base from a late 70's and not sure what the top came from. I sent it back. I have 6 TQ's now, I just find used ones locally and build the good ones. Its hard to find a good base with throttle rods that are not worn. I am running a TQ on my 340 that is from a 1974 and its a large bore since I am running a larger cam and higher compression.

Yes to the marine application, I believe that was the case with some parts on the one I got from summit.

I don't know enough about them to recognize if they are selling junk or not. One of the main reasons why I was hoping for a quality reman.

It looks like Classic Industries is going to start carrying TQs as well.

I wouldn't say they are junk, however, the throttle plate number which tells you what year and engine it was typically used on may not actually match the internal specifications for jets and rods, so who knows what's inside.

Buying an OLD reman carb is no different from you putting a kit into your existing one. Carb kits don't repair worn throttle shafts and other issues. They were a bad idea when I worked in parts stores in the 80's and are not any better now. One company that comes to mind from that time was "TOMCO". We called it "tomorrows comeback" for a very good reason. If you want to save yourself from frustration, contact Scott at Harms. He does a correct rebuild on them. Mopar man too!

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back