• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hauling a short/long block in a pickup

joe smith

Local time
12:46 AM
Reaction score
Been a few years since I have done this.. Any ideas on a simple ( I am aware of the tire method) way?? This will be a one time haul ( small block ford) from Oregon to Florida so I don't need to get carried away with something to use multiple times..
Any ideas here?? TY

Seems most people put them in a old tire, then strap it for fore & aft movement. Good Luck

I am thinking about building something out of 2 X 4's and I can use it to store the block at home.....

I am thinking about building something out of 2 X 4's and I can use it to store the block at home.....
yeah you can measure the flat surfaces/spot where the oil pan mounts
make a loose-fitting box, like an extra 1/4" wider & longer opening
or so, out of like a 2x8's, I do so, so the sump has plenty of clearance
or even some thicker plywood would work too, cheap & easy
screw it together
(old carpenter, always have wood around)
IIRC 2x6's would work for most sumps too,
leave the front & back pieces extra long,
3"+ on either side, like an extra 6"+ longer,
so it won't tip, has more stability

put casters (locking even better) on it & easily moveable too

or build something out of steel

On Chrysler Big Blocks we use a cou[le pieces of 2x6 lumber. One down each side and one front and back. The engine then sits on the back just behind the oilpan and the front again in front of the pan. Front is notched for oil pump. Probably do something similar for your needs. Ruffcut

Similar to what others posted above, I made a simple engine cradle out of 1x8 that ran along the side rails and sat on top of 2x4 & plywood "skateboard" so I could move my engine around the garage while waiting for the car to be ready. Worked just fine for my needs, but I would do something a little beefier and more stable for a cross-country trip.
1990-065.jpeg
1992-003.jpeg

I would build it and mount it to a pallet. I use my forks on the tractor to remove it from my truck bed or trailer. Plus the pallet is easier to strap down in the truck bed or trailer ad gives it rigidity.

Since it's a Ford and you are just scrapping it. Not sure you need anything.
(Just kidding)

I use a 14" tire or two 6x6" wood blocks unde the oil pan with ratchet straps.

yeah you can measure the flat surfaces/spot where the oil pan mounts
make a loose-fitting box, like an extra 1/4" wider & longer opening
or so, out of like a 2x8's, I do so, so the sump has plenty of clearance
or even some thicker plywood would work too, cheap & easy
screw it together
(old carpenter, always have wood around)
IIRC 2x6's would work for most sumps too,
leave the front & back pieces extra long,
3"+ on either side, like an extra 6"+ longer,
so it won't tip, has more stability

put casters (locking even better) on it & easily moveable too

or build something out of steel
I've shipped engines all over the world and at least a hundred or so in my time when I worked for Chrysler and that's how I did it.

2x6 frame as suggested. Shrink wrap it with thick packing wrap, you don't want to fight a flapping tarp cross country

Auto Transport Service
Back