• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have YOU relocated your battery to the trunk?

Kern Dog

Life is full of turns. Build your car to handle.
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:22 AM
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to move my battery to the right rear corner of the trunk. I bought a clam shell type battery box from a A-100 van. The box will sit on aluminum brackets that I made. Since that section of the floor is a little UNeven, I had to grind on the brackets to get the box to sit flat on 4 corners.
I'm curious as to HOW I'll run the cables. The NEG can probably be ran to a bare metal portion of the trunk floor ot to the lip/seam on the RH wheelhouse. Theres obviously no need to run that cable to the engine compartment. Regarding the POS cable.....
I have 3 other cars here that have the cables routed the same way: 2ga cable runs from the battery directly to the starter. A 10ga wire runs from the battery to the relay post #1. Relay post #2 has a 10ga wire that runs to the starter solenoid. Since I don't want to run a large and small positive cable from the battery all the way forward, can I simply use a "jumper" wire from the big lug on the starter BACK to relat post #1? Would it make more sense to use a jumper from the POS post on the alternator?
HOW did you guys route your cables? Inside the car or outside? Any tips? Thanks, Greg.

I had the luxury of doing this while the interior was completely out so I routed the positive into the interior and under the wire protectant chanel that runs alongside the passenger door sill--behind the passenger kick panel, upward along the inside of the firewall and through the bell housing hump (using a grommet) to the starter. Works great! For the negative, I ran it down into the trunk extension, through a grommet to the frame, secured with a grade 8 bolt and lock nut. Be sure to grind the frame connection first--after you attach the cable you can cover the connection with an epoxy paint--it'll be good for a long, long time. I also grounded the oil pump bolt to the front frame rail in the same manner.

Good luck,
Bob

I ran my 0/1 gauge wire through the frame rail, crossed over and right to the starter. But I used a solinoid in the trunk instead of going to the engine bay, less wires.
AL

Attachments

• aprilrunner 001.jpg
    aprilrunner 001.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 267
I have had a quite a few drag cars with a trunk mounted batterys and none were run through the inside.Fire hazzard maybe?Or maybe just easier routed outside?

I have run several cars with trunk mounted battery's. mount it to the right rear then run the cable along the trunk floor to the left side forward into the driver compartment along the outer edge of the door sill. you can place it inside of the channel under the sill plate( for a nice clean install) then drill a hole in the fire wall and USE a GROMMET into the eng comp attach it to the relay and your done.Oh don't forget that if you plan to use this car for ANY track use you MUST have a disconnect switch installed, accessible from the outside of the car. you will also nee to wire the IGN feed through the switch so that when the switch is turned off the car will stop running.

I put my battery in the trunk of my 63. I ran the cable under the carpet but I did not want it hot all the time so I use a Ford type starter solenoid in the trunk so the battery pos cable only has power while cranking. Then I used a 10 gauge fused wire to run power to the car. Ron

Auto Transport Service
Back