• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Having fuel issues

Perkul8r

Local time
12:32 PM
Reaction score
I am hoping i can get some answers here as I am stumped on my Fury.

First a little info, 1975 Plymouth fury, stock except exhaust. Car has sat for 8 years. lol

I started the car up and i knew that I would have old gas issues. I ended up draining 20 gallons of nasty stuff out, added 10 gallons of new premium. I have replaced the fuel filter, and fuel pump. THe pump wasn't bad, that I know of, but its cheap enough to replace.

Now, here is my issue. The car will start and run. However, it seems that once the car starts warming up it will loose fuel and just die. I can pour fuel into the carb and it will start. Sometimes it will stay idling, sometimes not.

I have noticed that there seems to be fuel seeping from the bottom of the carb out of a line that goes to the charcoal canister. I was thinking that the carb itself may be gummed up a little from sitting. But, the other night, the car sat and idled for like 30 min before loosing fuel and dying again.

At the same time the fuel tank seems to have alot of pressure in it. I have been trying to research the issue, but so far i haven't come up with much except possibly the charcoal canister and the venting fort he fuel tank.

Any help on where to start would be great. I am trying to get this problem taken care of before I swap the 4 barrel in.

Thanks.

Sitting for that long would be a must to drain and boil out the tank replace the fuel lines or if steel lines run a cleaner through them and rebuild the carb, seals/gaskets on the carb probably went rotten and are leaking. just a guess. Of course fuel filter etc.

I have already cleaned the steel lines from the tank up the pump. The only thing I haven't done is drop the tank yet. I plan on doing that tonight to check the fuel pickup tube and clean the tank out.

Other than the fuel pickup tube getting plugged i dont think I have any issues there.

The car will just stop pulling fuel. After this happens I can pull the line at the carb and there is nothing in it. Even at the pump if I remember right.

I plan on just swapping the carb out for a 4 barrel so i dont want to spend the time and money rebuilding the stock one right now. I was just hoping to get it running correctly before doing so.

After dropping the tank tonight and cleaning the tank out, I will probably just swap the four barrel in and continue there. And hopefully that will solve my carb issues. I really wanna drive this thing again. lol.

After dropping the tank tonight and cleaning the tank out, I will probably just swap the four barrel in and continue there. And hopefully that will solve my carb issues. I really wanna drive this thing again. lol.

If the fuel was that bad it's likely gummed up the carb as well, at this point I think your plan to swap the carb may solve your problem.

If the fuel was that bad it's likely gummed up the carb as well, at this point I think your plan to swap the carb may solve your problem.

I am hoping so. I got the intake on the car last night, so now just gotta get the car back together so I can try it.

hopefully a spot at the shop i work at will open up so I can get the car inside today and drop the tank.

Well, I do believe I found my issue. Dropped the tank tonight and Wow. lol. The sending unit is rusted closed, the level float is completely gone, and the tank has some rust in it. I used a screw driver and poked the tan in some areas and it still seems solid. just has some rust on the inside.

So...Do I try to clean the tank? And if so is there something I can use to coat the inside of the tank?

Check eastwood for some chemical cleaning kits, also check winged warriors site tech tips for a great article about how to clean out your tank. I think for under $60 it can be done but it is time consuming. Depending on your budget you may just want to get a new tank and sending unit.

Check eastwood for some chemical cleaning kits, also check winged warriors site tech tips for a great article about how to clean out your tank. I think for under $60 it can be done but it is time consuming. Depending on your budget you may just want to get a new tank and sending unit.

I am getting a new sending unit for sure. Just gotta find one. I was kicking around the idea of a new tank also, but just not sure where to find one.

I see you found the problem, if it will run good i would add that some good carb cleaner be run through it awhile to clean the build up inside the carb.. Maybe there's a place around where they can dip the carb, clean it good and rebuild it.. Switching will work to the 4 but if you don't want to or would like to keep it for later.. Just a suggestion, i imagine its gummed up some..
And I believe POR-15 Has a special paint that you put in your tank to slush around if you can get it cleaned out good.. I bought a new fuel tank for my 73 for $245.00, (vans auto.com) You could check with them, don't know if they carry any tank but thats what i was told for mine. Good luck.

I plan on trying to clean the tank. I am hoping that I can get all the big stuff out today and than i will have to order the POR-15 kit. I already ordered a new sending unit so hopefully that will be here this week.

Dropped the tank off at my local radiator place. they are gonna clean it and seal it for $75. I cant believe it. Now just gotta wait on my sending unit. And now I gotta find a new filler neck seal.

Does anyone know if a fuel tank filler neck gromment for a 74 a/b body will work on my 75 b body? I seem to find a ton of those, but none for my car.

Does anyone know if a fuel tank filler neck gromment for a 74 a/b body will work on my 75 b body? I seem to find a ton of those, but none for my car.

It's been a few years but I think that's what I wound up using, I do know that I got it from year one and when it showed up it had the same Mopar part number molded into as the one it replaced.

Thanks for the info on that grommet guys, I am gonna get that ordered and the sending unit tonight. that way I can hopefully have them by the time my tank is done.

Auto Transport Service
Back