• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Head gaskets

JACK FOSHEE

Local time
8:05 AM
Reaction score
Need to use chrysler steel shim gaskets with aluminum heads, any thoughts, I need that thickness for new motor, want .42 deck height NHRA stock eliminator 426 street wedge, copper coat work ok, or old school aluminum paint, input appreciated thx Jack

Larry Hill runs aluminum heads on his cuda. Ask on classracer S/SS tech page he looks there. Also Steve Wann & Don Little.

I also use a sacrificial anode in my coolant system. I use the one that screws in where the radiator drain is.

Installed a pair of .028" steel shim on Eddy RPM heads 3 years ago. Bolted them on dry. No issues. 10-1 compression, car runs 11.20s
Doug

I would go with Cometic MLS gaskets before I would try steel shim (Factory Style) on that application. I think they make them all the way down to .028" which should do the trick for you.

I would go with Cometic MLS gaskets before I would try steel shim (Factory Style) on that application. I think they make them all the way down to .028" which should do the trick for you.
0.027" . I use this size on my 440 .

Tex

.027 is the thinnest catalog thickness, they will make them .023 last time I checked

You can run a thicker gasket and get your compression back with a higher deck height.

Auto Transport Service
Back