• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Head Lights keep going out

lambertw

Local time
6:54 PM
Reaction score
I have had this problem since 1975. My headlights keep going out at night every so often, more often than not. I used to think it was the headlight switch, but it is not. When they go out, you hear a loud click under the dash, and out they go. Cannot solve this problem?

Will they come back on shortly after or what do you have to do to get them to come back on?

Thank you Builderguy! I will check it out, so much to do, and in reading it/mentioned modern relays from Radio Shack, which is no longer in business I believe. I love this car, and these were issues since I was young. Would like to get my head lights rotating before I leave the planet. Oh well a labor of love...

There is a circuit breaker in the headlamp switch. Sounds like you may have a short circuit in the lamp wiring.
Mike

Dimmer switch can cause that problem as well.

My Bee use to do that most nights I tried to leave the drive in, it was always the bulkhead connector to headlight harness spades.

You have a bad connection causing the circuit to draw too much current, so the circuit breaker in/on the light switch opens. Check the grounds, crimped connections, and blade connectors in the light circuit.

^ Like 69Bee said. I'm not sure if headlight harness is reproduced for 66-67 Charger. Most Mopars have a circuit breaker in the headlight switch. A DC current meter could help. You could remove all the Packard connectors and clean them w contact cleaner. I tighten them a tiny bit w needle nose, carefully, to improve the connection. Usually all headlight power goes through the high beam switch - one wire feeds in, one out is low, the other is high.

I had that problem once, it was a bad ground at the dimmer switch. There is a fusible link or circuit breaker behind the driver’s kick panel.
National Moparts in Beaverton Ontario sells factory reproduction dash harnesses, engine bay and headlight harnesses. We got the engine bay and headlight harnesses. Fantastic.

I had that problem once, it was a bad ground at the dimmer switch. There is a fusible link or circuit breaker behind the driver’s kick panel.
National Moparts in Beaverton Ontario sells factory reproduction dash harnesses, engine bay and headlight harnesses. We got the engine bay and headlight harnesses. Fantastic.
440 4 Speed!
I think that is going to have to be the plan, new wire harness? And I better add when I get the money

As dadsbee said bulkhead connector. I unplugged mind to paint engine compartment. Plugged everything in headlights problems. Looked under dash and connector to headlights pushed out of bulkhead.

Fran already pointed out a general cause, the connectors can pop out of the interior side of the bulkhead connector, or they get dirty and/or corroded causing high resistance and either popping your inline circuit breaker (if there is one) or just failing to have continuity.

Auto Transport Service
Back