• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Head liner sail panel install help 66 Body

2quick

Local time
6:46 PM
Reaction score
I got a new headliner from classic that as far as I can see has no instructions. I've researched installing a bow type headliner and got most of it except the sail panel install part. The new headliner came with new covered sail panels but i'm not sure how they go or why they are there actually. seems the tails are long enough to do the sails in one piece. So are the sail panel boards supposed to under or over the headliner and how would they attach?

I got a new headliner from classic that as far as I can see has no instructions. I've researched installing a bow type headliner and got most of it except the sail panel install part. The new headliner came with new covered sail panels but i'm not sure how they go or why they are there actually. seems the tails are long enough to do the sails in one piece. So are the sail panel boards supposed to under or over the headliner and how would they attach?

What is the year and model?
I used the old headliner from my 66 Coronet, 2 door hardtop, as a template (probably too late for you now), but there were no sail panels on mine. I believe only the four door had those

What is the year and model?
I used the old headliner from my 66 Coronet, 2 door hardtop, as a template (probably too late for you now), but there were no sail panels on mine. I believe only the four door had those
66 Satellite coupe , four doors were all post cars and the sail panel cardboard is shaped to fit the 2 door coupe. There were none in my original either (I think) so not sure what the deal with these are.

I had a four door as well, as a doner car. The cardboard sail panels were in that, the other three (2dr hard tops) did not. I guess there could have been a story with that, I suppose, as one had the headliner removed before I got it. I don't believe that there are interior sail panel lights on the four door....perhaps that could have something to do with it

The sail panel goes in last and overlaps the headliner.
Guess they are there as it will be very hard to get that corner installed properly.
On my car they were originally secured with 2 metal clips, these were hooked into a stapled piece of board behind the sail panel.
The new ones i got came with 2 pieces of velcro tape to secure it, which initially i was quite sure it will not hold properly but after installing they sitting pretty firm and have not fell of or came loose.

See mine after replacing, this is for a '69 B body but guess it same or similar on a '66.

IMG_8909.jpg

The sail panel goes in last and overlaps the headliner.
Guess they are there as it will be very hard to get that corner installed properly.
On my car they were originally secured with 2 metal clips, these were hooked into a stapled piece of board behind the sail panel.
The new ones i got came with 2 pieces of velcro tape to secure it, which initially i was quite sure it will not hold properly but after installing they sitting pretty firm and have not fell of or came loose.

See mine after replacing, this is for a '69 B body but guess it same or similar on a '66.

View attachment 578977
69 charger goes behind the headliner.....69 Plymouth overlaps the headliner.......

66 I am not sure......

Anyone else done one on a 66-67? Did you use the sail panels or throw them away?

Auto Transport Service
Back