• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

head milling

old guys rule

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:24 AM
Reaction score
having great difficulty sealing intake manifold. I suspect one cyl. head has been milled and not the other. will cc'ing chambers give a ballpark as to how to balance them out?

OK, so what engine are you working on? What makes you think only one cylinder head was machined? Please describe exactly what you are seeing & experiencing that makes you say your having trouble sealing the intake manifold. What intake gasket (or gaskets) are you using?

having great difficulty sealing intake manifold. I suspect one cyl. head has been milled and not the other. will cc'ing chambers give a ballpark as to how to balance them out?

There are probably 10 different machining aspects between the block deck heights, angles, dowel locations, head dowel locations and multiple head angles on the deck and intake sides, and multiple intake manifold angles. So to blame one head being milled is a bit presumptuous. And combustion chamber volumes differences would not be definitive anyways. You can measure the head thickness at the lower head bolt flange. This is normally 1.000" from the factory.

What engine and what intake manifold?

You can take measurements and have the intake milled, a different intake, or use the 0.015" paper gaskets on both sides of the pan. You might need to elongate the intake mounting holes.

Actually, milling one head would only(possibly)screw up the intake bolt alignment on one side.
As long as the head was milled parallel to the original surface, it won’t affect sealing....... unless a “bunch” has been milled off and it’s affecting the ability of the gasket to match up with the manifold/head port alignment.
Flat milling the heads doesn’t change the angle between the two intake faces.

OK, so what engine are you working on? What makes you think only one cylinder head was machined? Please describe exactly what you are seeing & experiencing that makes you say you're having trouble sealing the intake manifold. What intake gasket (or gaskets) are you using?
sorry, 440 motor-measured int sealing surface and had manifold milled for fitment-- CH4B manifold-- steel vally gask. only this time I used it with paper gaskets and gasket sealer on both sides. will know if this solved the problem when I finish buttoning it up Dave

sorry, 440 motor-measured int sealing surface and had manifold milled for fitment-- CH4B manifold-- steel vally gask. only this time I used it with paper gaskets and gasket sealer on both sides. will know if this solved the problem when I finish buttoning it up Dave
Your approach makes sense if.....when you first tried to bolt up your intake (just the steel valley pan gasket) the intake bolt holes in the intake sat quite a bit below the threaded intake bolt holes in the heads. The paper gaskets will move the intake manifold "up".

Auto Transport Service
Back