• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Head Removal Help/Questions

Unfortunately, yours is not an isolated incident.
This past spring I was talking with a guy who I used to share shop space with who had a basically new set of stealth heads in his shop because of a similar situation.
A new build that was leaking coolant into the cylinders.

He pressure tested them and they were leaking out from under/behind some of the the seat inserts.

Last edited:
Since I pulled the motor out, I decided to pull the piston and check for a bent rod. What I found was excessive wear on the rod bearings and mains. Ive always had slightly low oil pressure since I had it built, could have been the cause? Didn't see water in the oil. So I had a local machine shop help me check all the tolerances and install new bearings. The rings all looked good. After all of that I decided I shouldn't blow almost 2k on new edelbrock heads. So I was forced to buy a replacement stealth head. I almost have it all back together, now. The aftermarket oil pickup is giving me some problems though. It's threading in tight at the wrong location. I'm contemplating putting a tack weld on it, when its in the right spot. Is that a bad idea?

Unfortunately, you’re is not an isolated incident.
This past spring I was talking with a guy who I used to share shop space with who had a basically new set of stealth heads in his shop because of a similar situation.
A new build that was leaking coolant into the cylinders.

He pressure tested them and they were leaking out from under/behind some of the the seat inserts.

Great...

5%. Really? I honestly don't know what my response would have been.
How do you think I felt when I had to call back and order another one. Unfortunately I cant't justify spending the money on something better right now.

Update for anyone interested, the head was cracked behind the seat. They are 440 source stealth heads. I called them, they told me they would give me 5% off on a new one.

I have always been a supporter 440 Source. I have purchased from them, and some have been very good, and some marginal. But I've always felt value was about right, and understood the risk of discount parts.

That said, however, your deal with them does not sound square to me. JMO.

Auto Transport Service
Back