• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Headcount for 1979 "300s"

Northeast300

Local time
1:48 PM
Reaction score
Since getting my '79 300 almost 2 years ago, I have been trying to track down a number of how many are left on the road and not in a salvage yard, crushed or rotting in a field. I sent a letter to the Chrysler historical department but all they could confirm if that there were only 3,811 built for the US market. cbodies.com claims to have 13 being parted out and wildcatmopars.com has 3 listed on their website and there are a few on craigslist in various parts of the country. At one time I did find a registry but it hadn't been updated in a few years so the accuracy can't be trusted and I can't seem to find it now.

I have one. I have the original wheels and caps too

Attachments

• IMG_2212.jpg
    IMG_2212.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 584
I used to work just outside the city limits on the west side of baltimore about 11 or 12 years ago. There was a small strip mall a bunch of us would go to for lunch because there was a decent place there with pool tables. In the lot sat about 5 300's and assorted other cordobas and such from the late 70s. There was a parts store there, i assume it was the owner of the store that they belonged too. I havent been back since i left. I doubt they are still there. But you never know

Front are 215/70/15 on 7'' wheels.Rear are 235/70/15 on 8'' wheels.Wheels are Summit brand.Jegs have the same wheel. Plan to move the rear to the front and go with a 255/70/15 for the rear and have 8'' wheels on all 4 corners.That's when money allows.

At one time I had a list including sales of 300's. I'll have to check it and update it. It origanlly came from The 79-300 web site : http://www.rattlerig.com/1979Chrysler300.html
check it out. It hasn't been updated since 2004 but still has some good info.

Front are 215/70/15 on 7'' wheels.Rear are 235/70/15 on 8'' wheels.Wheels are Summit brand.Jegs have the same wheel. Plan to move the rear to the front and go with a 255/70/15 for the rear and have 8'' wheels on all 4 corners.That's when money allows.

Thanks! I am running 225/70/15 on the stock 7" wheels now but would love to go bigger and fatter at somepoint

- - - Updated - - -

At one time I had a list including sales of 300's. I'll have to check it and update it. It origanlly came from The 79-300 web site : http://www.rattlerig.com/1979Chrysler300.html
check it out. It hasn't been updated since 2004 but still has some good info.

Yeah that's the web site I found too and it seems to have been forgotten about.

If you search YouTube for Drag Week 2015 Day 1 and skip ahead to the 5hr 4 min mark you will see a SWEET 79 300 that runs in the 11.50's! It's too bad that later in the week that car got crunched in the front end. Sad.

Northeast300, When I got mine it had 235/60/15 on all 4 corners with the stock wheels. Easily take the larger size. Some day I'll buy the 8'' wheels and the 255/70's and do the switcheroo.Spending money on getting a 68 Valiant back on the road at the time.

If you search YouTube for Drag Week 2015 Day 1 and skip ahead to the 5hr 4 min mark you will see a SWEET 79 300 that runs in the 11.50's! It's too bad that later in the week that car got crunched in the front end. Sad.

I saw that 300 that you are talking about, it hit s Subaru or something right?

There is a guy from AZ that drag races his in the 10's with a supercharged 360. Put it on a massive diet too.

Tire size I have been running since 1982 is 255/60/15 on all four corners.

I owned one back in 94' bought it for $1500 with 63,000 on the clock. Drove it back and forth too work for two years and racked up a another 70000. Traded it in with 130K on the clock for a little 96 Dakota 4 banger, and still got $1500 trade. It lived its whole life in Tucson Az. and I was the 3rd owner.

If anyone is needing a pair I still have a set of 300 quarter windows, free dust included.

I owned one back in 94' bought it for $1500 with 63,000 on the clock. Drove it back and forth too work for two years and racked up a another 70000. Traded it in with 130K on the clock for a little 96 Dakota 4 banger, and still got $1500 trade. It lived its whole life in Tucson Az. and I was the 3rd owner.

If anyone is needing a pair I still have a set of 300 quarter windows, free dust included.

I don't need windows but it never hurts to have spare parts...how much are you looking to get for them?

I don't need windows but it never hurts to have spare parts...how much are you looking to get for them?

There in the bottom of my tool box PM me your e-mail and I will shoot you some pics, then we can talk price sound fair too you.

I have 2 300's, The first car all stock and on the road but needs body work, the second had a 400 swapped in place of the 360. I have that car apart right now to clean up the cuts in the K frame the previous owner made for oil pan clearance when they did the engine swap. I'm hoping to get this on on the road in the next year I figured while its apart redo the whole front suspension and give everything fresh paint. My friend has one I'm hoping to rescue, it's borderline whether it can be saved. Kframe has a missing body mount and the car sat under trees for a couple years so wet leaves sitting on it were not good for the body. From local car shows I know of at least 2 others in the are in real nice shape

Here's our 79 300. We bought it last summer, it has 23000 miles and was pretty much untouched by the previous owners. The guy I got it from replaced the exhaust but removed the cats, sounds real nice. No rust or body work ever, the lean burn has been deleted, carb, intake, cam and ignition have been added, heads milled, still looks stock except for the air cleaner..

Soupman, I believe I met you last summer at the Beckman Motors cruise in Mt. Oliver. We have since moved to Westmoreland county.020.jpg019.jpg021.jpg018.jpg017.jpg

017.jpg 018.jpg 021.jpg 019.jpg 020.jpg

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back