• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Header back exhaust

Aarons Air

Local time
8:10 AM
Reaction score
I'm trying to find a good 2 1/2" header back exhaust system for my coronet. It seems hard to compare one company to another. As none have the same exact components, or use the same material. Flowmaster uses stainless, but judging by their generic pic, doesn't seem to have the correct style muffler or tailpipe clamps, and is priced around $730 shipped. Borla seems to have a good rep, but i can't find a kit price. Accurate exhaust products is the manufacturer of the swivel exhaust extensions, that i bought for my schumacher headers. Since accurate made the swivel extensions, as well as schumachers tri y headers, i contacted them about a header back system. They have one, it supposedly has the correct hangers, but its made with aluminized steel, and priced at $1100 + approx $172 shipping. And, the tail pipe is reduced to 2 1/4 " . $1272 shipped, for an aluminized system seems high to me. At first i intended to buy black widow 14x9 250 mufflers, the correct style muffler clamp ( in 21/2 ") correct tail pipe hangers, and hiring an exhaust shop to cut bend & weld it all together. Now, black widows 14" mufflers are on back order. With corona- who knows when they will be available again. Accurate did say they have it all in stock. I haven't checked availability with flowmaster yet. Any suggestions ?

TTI. Call them, excellent on the phone. Eat the bullet and don’t look back. Use step clamps though. Easy install. I did my 67 charger in a lazy 2 hours by myself easily. 2.5” is the right call!

TTI has a good set up. I’d go there. They set up the whole system to bolt in @ factory points and can include a repopped factory hanger that is excellent.

Summit Racing also has exhaust systems (mild steel/aluminized) with and without mufflers. I’ve used them before and I’d use them again.
As far as a stainless steel option, idk. Sorry.

I called accurate yesterday for an exact quote. They told me $1100 +172 ship. Today they sent an email with pricing. The email didn't have a total contents list, list what materials were stainless or aluminized, or even if it had an x or h in it. Just a price. $1241.90 + $172 ship.

I'm trying to find a good 2 1/2" header back exhaust system for my coronet. It seems hard to compare one company to another. As none have the same exact components, or use the same material. Flowmaster uses stainless, but judging by their generic pic, doesn't seem to have the correct style muffler or tailpipe clamps, and is priced around $730 shipped. Borla seems to have a good rep, but i can't find a kit price. Accurate exhaust products is the manufacturer of the swivel exhaust extensions, that i bought for my schumacher headers. Since accurate made the swivel extensions, as well as schumachers tri y headers, i contacted them about a header back system. They have one, it supposedly has the correct hangers, but its made with aluminized steel, and priced at $1100 + approx $172 shipping. And, the tail pipe is reduced to 2 1/4 " . $1272 shipped, for an aluminized system seems high to me. At first i intended to buy black widow 14x9 250 mufflers, the correct style muffler clamp ( in 21/2 ") correct tail pipe hangers, and hiring an exhaust shop to cut bend & weld it all together. Now, black widows 14" mufflers are on back order. With corona- who knows when they will be available again. Accurate did say they have it all in stock. I haven't checked availability with flowmaster yet. Any suggestions ?
Build your own?
Mike

I've been installing TTI products for years now. Looking at their site, B Body with mufflers price is $714 and whatever shipping is.
Aluminized steel DynoMax mufflers.Did a 79 300 not long ago. Also a 68 Valiant with shorty headers.Just some eye candy.
IMG_2116.jpg
IMG_2619.jpg
IMG_2642.jpg

Last edited:
I've been installing TTI product for years now. Looking at their site B Body with mufflers price is $714 and whatever shipping is.
Aluminized steel DynoMax mufflers.Did a 79 300 not long ago. Also a 68 Valiant with shorty headers.Just some eye candy.View attachment 952251 View attachment 952252 View attachment 952253
Nice pics- thanks ! Yes, i think. $714 is much more realistic than $1240. Accurate is including a set of stainless tips, in that price, but still $1240 + ? Does tti tail pipe reduce to 2 1/4 ? Or is it 2 1/2" all the way. It seems most suppliers only have the original style muffler hanger/ clamp in 2 1/4 and not original style in 2 1/2.

2 1/2'' to the bumper..Unless you want 3''. They have that too.

I've heard that from many that have installed 3''. Really not necessary unless mega cubes and HP. Just my thought.

At 2-1/2 inches, with the right muffler, it is a 600hp capable exhaust. This would be excellent for a street driven car.

I agree with the 3 inch being to big for most builds and even a bit more on street rides. Much louder as well. What ever the end user wants rules the day.

+1 on TTI.
I have the 2,5" under my Coronet now and am happy with it.
Fits very well, all required clamps and hangers included in the kit.
Depending on your liking, but i found the Dynomax ST mufflers are a little to quiet for my liking.
I am planning to modify my Flowmaster mufflers (3") to make them a direct replacement to the Dynomax and see how that sounds.
As Darter6 his pictures show, it is a nice fit to the car.

I just finished installing a TTi 2 1/2" H-pipe exhaust in my Coronet. Good stuff you really can't go wrong with it. Comes with Dynomax Ultraflow mufflers. I didn't spring for the tips. Was around $700-something.
IMG_0515_sm.jpg

Ultra Flows or the Turbo muffler?

mine came with the turbo muffler.

Ultra Flows or the Turbo muffler?

mine came with the turbo muffler.

The Super Turbo mufflers come with the kit as per TTI, maybe they provide additional options in mufflers?
This counts for the H-, X- and Max wedge type systems.

TTI does have several optional mufflers

Y'all are making me jealous with those pretty exhaust systems. :thumbsup:
Yes, the 3" with Flowmaster wannabe mufflers that mine has on it are obnoxiously loud at times
for sure, especially at highway speeds - the drone is almost enough for me to want to wear
earplugs.
Not kidding.

Auto Transport Service
Back