• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Header bolt holes

mpro69rr

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:03 PM
Reaction score
Hello, I had to remove my headers and the bolt holes have RTV in them. Does anyone know how to clean them out? I don't want to use a tap because that will push the rtv into the water jacket.

Thanks!

If its just a small ammt. I would not worry about it. redope and install.
If it is a lot of rtv you can take a small 90* pick and shop vac and work over the holes.
But it would have to be a lot of rtv before I would go that far.

Just like dads bee said.

Invest in a set of these.

https://store.snapon.com/Miniature-...nct-Soft-Grip-Miniature-Pick-Set-P891665.aspx

download (6).jpg

Every time I go to the dentist I ask them if they have any tools they are throwing out, always come home with at least 4 or 5 ! May as well get something as a bonus for his $250/hr !

Get a 3/8" diameter round wire brush, cut the handle end off of it, chuck it in your drill and run it in reverse. They make them for drills also...
CM-0000001TR7-Product-WBU21072-1200Wx1200H.jpeg

once you clean out the bolt wholes go buy some allen headed plugs. put thread locker on them run them into exhaust holes and no more water leaks and never have to worry about broken exhaust bolts just a thought.

Auto Transport Service
Back