• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Header bolt thread protection?

hunt2elk

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
11:31 AM
Reaction score
I am installing my new TTI headers which came with chrome steel bolts and was wondering if you guys are using a teflon thread sealer or anti seize on these bolts when going into aluminum heads? The heads are 440 Source so the holes don't run into any water jackets. Something just to prevent oxidation between dissimilar metals.

Just the blue stuff and not the red, correct?

Those heads don't have holes that go into the water jacket, so anti seize is what I would use along with a locking header bolt or stud.

Those heads don't have holes that go into the water jacket, so anti seize is what I would use along with a locking header bolt or stud.

This was my thinking too. Do you think the brushable white Teflon thread sealer would do the same as antiseize as far as putting a layer between the steel and aluminum and maybe not have as much of a chance of backing out?

Well the anti seize is for the threads, no galling, and puts a layer of protection against dissimilar metals. A small tube is not expensive, but if Teflon paste is all ya have, then it will work.

Well the anti seize is for the threads, no galling, and puts a layer of protection against dissimilar metals. A small tube is not expensive, but if Teflon paste is all ya have, then it will work.

I have tubes of almost everything made lol. No, I just want to use what would be the best. Anti seize it is then.

for galvanic action you need air O2 and moisture so sealing out air O2 and moisture with blue locktite should do the trick
or you can go to a electrical store and buy anti oxidizer for aluminum wire and use that

Anti seize and a good cross threading and they wont come out. ha ha ha

I use the copper anti seize.....

By golly, I guess I don't own one of every tube everything lol.

- - - Updated - - -

Anti seize and a good cross threading and they wont come out. ha ha ha

Yeah - for as much fun as I had installing these things, I sure wouldn't want them falling off the car lol.

or you can go to a electrical store and buy anti oxidizer for aluminum wire and use that
I even have some of that stuff here. I'm not sure it would stand up to the heat though?

If you've ever had to remove a steel bolt that someone installed in an aluminum head without anti-seize, you wouldn't be asking the question. ALWAYS use anti-seize on any steel bolt or spark plug going into an aluminum anything. You'll be happy you did if you ever have to take it apart. Just check the header bolts once in a while and you'll be fine. Good luck.

The Teflon pipe dope will work as well as a bunch of other stuff. Use a fresh split lock washer under the header bolt or nut and you will be good after at least one retorqueing.

I've run Teflon for over 10 years on various motors. With and w/o water in the passage. I've never had a seized, loose or stuck header bolt.
Doug

Auto Transport Service
Back