• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Header/exhaust question

MoparGirl63

Local time
4:28 AM
Reaction score
I am replacing the original 318 poly in a 63 Dodge 440 with a 340. The 318 is a wider block than the 340. I would like to put headers on the 340 but according to Summit there are no headers for the vehicle. Maybe I'm oversimplifying this but it would appear that it's because the original engine was a wide block and allowed no space for headers but there should be enough space with the smaller 340. Can anyone confirm? Maybe I'm not thinking correctly and the steering nuckle will interfere. How about using the hugger style headers and customizing the exhaust?? Any ideas??

Actually the block isn't wider. However, the Poly has even spaced exhaust ports like a Hemi does, meaning the two center cylinders aren't next to each other. I would lay odds on a small block B body header would work, but I'm sure one of the early B aficionados will chime in with the lowdown

maybe you could find a 67 sb b car and try and cross the numbers

Headers

Give TTI a call or check their website
I used them for my '63 dodge 440
I installed a hemi and purchased TTI headers and complete exhaust
system
Wasn't cheap but the fit was almost perfect
(had an issue with my mini starter and header clearance)
but TTI resolved it
good luck and send some pictures
Enzo

Auto Transport Service
Back