• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HEADER QUESTION HELP

XMAN JR

Local time
6:42 PM
Reaction score
My dad is getting ready to order headers for his 62 polara. We need help selecting a good header for around 500 bucks. He is putting in a 413 max wedge. Should he get a shorty or full length header ? What are you all running & are you happy with the fitment. He will be running 2 1/2 exhaust system. That's what the engine builder said would be best for his HP. Thanks

Well, I don't think that old Mopars have a "shortie header" option that I'm aware of. I've only ever run "long tubes". There were some type of factory headers called "tri-Y headers" that came stock on some of the max wedge cars. I think it was a 2 into 2 into 1 setup. I also think that some of them may have had factory exhaust cut-out plates (dead-end with cap & gasket that you could un-bolt at the track). I'M NOT A MAX WEDGE EXPERT. Maybe you can find some reproduction headers to keep a semi-factory look?

Well, I don't think that old Mopars have a "shortie header" option that I'm aware of. I've only ever run "long tubes". There were some type of factory headers called "tri-Y headers" that came stock on some of the max wedge cars. I think it was a 2 into 2 into 1 setup. I also think that some of them may have had factory exhaust cut-out plates (dead-end with cap & gasket that you could un-bolt at the track). I'M NOT A MAX WEDGE EXPERT. Maybe you can find some reproduction headers to keep a semi-factory look?
Dads not worried about looking factory. Schumacher has the shorty headers but they are very expensive. He is thinking of getting something cheeper but not sure about fitment.

When I restored my 68 GTX which has a 440 I bought Hooker ceramic competition long tube headers for around the $500 mark and they fit pretty well. Almost any of these headers are not like fitting gloves. TTIs are probably the closest - but you won't like the cost. I had a cheaper older set of headers in before the new ones. I'm pretty happy with the new pair.

When I restored my 68 GTX which has a 440 I bought Hooker ceramic competition long tube headers for around the $500 mark and they fit pretty well. Almost any of these headers are not like fitting gloves. TTIs are probably the closest - but you won't like the cost. I had a cheaper older set of hooker headers in before the new ones. I'm pretty happy with the new pair.

I used TTIs in my 62 with the 318 and they fit like a glove. Found mine used for $500

Auto Transport Service
Back