• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Headers for 383 in a 62 b body

peakandscoot

Local time
10:16 PM
Reaction score
long story short my dad changed out the 318 to 383 back in 64. The car sat in a garage in pieces for 50 years and 2 years ago i started putting it back together. Rotisserie restoration, 4 wheel disk brakes, Borgeson aftermarket power steering and now im getting to the engine. Here is the question can i buy off the shelf headers that will work or will they have to be custom? Does anyone have any first hand experience with big blocks in 62 furys? any advice?

I swapped a 383 from a 1964 Plymouth Belvedere into my 1968 Plymouth Satellite Year’s ago. Not sure how different the 64 vs the 62 engine compartment is but I believe they most common B body headers will fit.

I used the Doug's 452 in my '62 Dodge. It's a 440 and the collectors are really tight against the floor but they have good clearance. They really fit nice with no mods or hammering dents in them.

Some header manufacturers will specify B block and RB, some don't. Doug's makes the "451" header for the B block.
20180503_151841.jpg
20180503_151730.jpg
20170405_232609.jpg

Last edited:
A quick look on summit shows a specific part number for headers for 1962 to 1964 Furys. In the question section others have used them on newer applications but they are available. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hed-78036
Ya that shows for the 413 RB which i am pretty sure was the one big block available that year and i was not sure how that compares to 383 b block which was not made for that year.

I used the Doug's 452 in my '62 Dodge. It's a 440 and the collectors are really tight against the floor but they have good clearance. They really fit nice with no mods or hammering dents in them.

Some header manufacturers will specify B block and RB, some don't. Doug's makes the "451" header for the B block.
View attachment 608874 View attachment 608876 View attachment 608877
Thats exactly how i want my exhaust to look. I see your stear
power.jpg
ing rod is pretty close to that back pipe. I think im going to have clearance issues with that. I had to cut my rod and put in a stearing coupler that is probably right where your rod is closest to that back pipe

I think im going to have clearance issues with that. I had to cut my rod and put in a stearing coupler that is probably right where your rod is closest to that back pipe

With the Borgeson box and coupler, I wouldn't know what clearance you have compared to the stock one. I see the shaft seal isn't centered in the column tube. You can loosen the three bolts on the firewall and let the plate come over.

The 440 is a tad bit wider than the 383. As far as the 383 not being available in '62, the 361 was and it measures the same. The 452 Doug's that I'm useing are 2" tubes. The 451 header, made for 383 applications, are 1-3/4" tubes.

I can get you measurements if you would like.
20170907_213536.jpg

20170907_213639.jpg

With the Borgeson box and coupler, I wouldn't know what clearance you have compared to the stock one. I see the shaft seal isn't centered in the column tube. You can loosen the three bolts on the firewall and let the plate come over.

The 440 is a tad bit wider than the 383. As far as the 383 not being available in '62, the 361 was and it measures the same. The 452 Doug's that I'm useing are 2" tubes. The 451 header, made for 383 applications, are 1-3/4" tubes.

I can get you measurements if you would like.
View attachment 609085
View attachment 609088
Thanks for the help. I just called Dougs and they were not sure about the after market conversion power stearing either but i will get back with you with about getting a couple measurements. Thanks again

Thanks for the help. I just called Dougs and they were not sure about the after market conversion power stearing either but i will get back with you with about getting a couple measurements. Thanks again

As others have said, I also recommend the quality and fit of Doug's. Hopefully they'll be compatible with your steering box. Good luck.

Auto Transport Service
Back