• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

headers for a 440 hit shock tower

bigmanjbmopar

Newb with a view
Local time
3:13 PM
Reaction score
Does anyone know what are the right headers for a 440 so they won't touch the sides? Mine hit and bang the **** out the shock tower on the passenger side and touch the steering gear box on the drivers side. Should I go back to stock exhaust? These headers are the summit brand aka hookers. When I first measured with the motor out the distance out from the heads was the same as the stock manifolds. I have the 440source stealth heads on it. Just isn't any room, we had to shoe horn the motor in there anyway because of the headers. What have you guys experienced with this? Thanks.

Hammer and chisel? Thinking of pulling the part of the tower bulge out from the shock/tire side hmm

not a great picture but to the left it is hitting.

IMAG0288.gif

I have 2" TTI headers on my 63 and they actually have more room then my 1-3/4 Hedmans had because of the different bends. This is the closest side and has about 1/2" at closest spot. Ron

100_1439.gif

The Hedman's I tried hit the torsion bar on the driver side, the ceramic coat Hookers won't fit with power steering and are rusting. I'm thinking that unless you buy TTI or Stainless Works, both pricey, headers are a crap shoot.

Think I am going to try to pound out some room on the shock tower housing, looks like there is at least 2-3" of room between that and the shock just got to make sure the top of the shock does not move or warp. Wont be perfect because there are 2 more spots on the same side that lightly touch but at least the pounding wont be louder than the exhaust is now! lol

Auto Transport Service
Back