• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Headers for my 72 RR /440??

deletedusername

Local time
1:22 AM
Reaction score
I have a 72 Satellite, 440, AT 727 floor shift, Pwr Steering and Pwr brakes, mild performance build, but now need to swap out the stock HP exhaust manifolds for some headers. I was told by a smart friend to go with 1.75 tubes. Personally, I've always like Hookers but want to make sure they fit without too many issues. I looked at both the Hooker Competition and Super Comps and can't figure out the differences between the two as far as fit and performance. Someone else mentioned block huggers, but I don't see any models that are described like that. I guess I'd like to know if anyone has any experience with headers and the 72 body style.
Thanks in advance for your help!!!

I have Heddmans on my BB RR, and they fit reasonably well. They are middle of the road stuff. If price is not an issue for the best, then TTI would be the way to go.

I just put TTI headers on my 72 440 GTX, they fit great and were easy to install. Needed to unbolt the motor mounts and raise the engine about 6 inches on the drivers side to get the headers in place - I replaced my motor mounts at the same time. The headers were pricey, but well worth it. Good luck...

So now I have bought some of the new Darkside ceramic 1.75" Hooker Headers for my 72 Roadrunner and we can't get the Drivers side on. My exhaust mechanic said they won't clear the Pitman arm and the steering box or something... Since the box came already opened from Summitt were thinking they may have just sent us the wrong one, although thier stamped correctly from what we can tell. Techs at Hooker said it might be a bad engine mount, although mine are new, and they said thier will only be 1/8 inch of clearance which seems a little tight.
Thoughts on getting these on? I have another set of the same coming just to make sure thier the correct ones. If it doesn't just end up being the wrong one, any suggestions on something else? Anybody have any personal experience with my issue??
Thanks in advance... :)

I like the ceramic TTI headers, top quality. I have a set of 440 headers on my 383 that I am swapping out because the 383 deck is 1/2" lower and hit the steering. So if you want to same some $ I'll be putting these up for sale for $650 save $200. Pass. side does have a dent where the body shop tried to make them fit, but for $200 savings you could probably live with it. But either way TTI is the way to go.

I recently put a set of Hooker Competition headers on my 68 Charger and they fit like crap. I had to pound both sides in to clear the steering, so now have one tube on each side that is dented in. :mad:

Not only that, the collector on one side sits much lower than the other and alway bottoms out on driveway transitions or speed bumps.

They suck.

Ok, so now the latest in my quest to get the Hooker Headers onto my RR. So we ordered another new set from Hooker because the exhaust mechanic said he thought the first ones were the wrong ones. Well the second set doesn't fit either. LOL...kinda... So he thinks the pitman arm might be the issue. The alignment has been way off on it, but I hadn't gotten around to getting that fixed yet so I thought he might be onto something. He's guessing that the owner before me might have put the wrong pitman arm on, maybe from a 73 to 74. So we ordered a new pitman arm from Advance Auto Parts and that ones the same as the one on the car. But he said he has a book that tells him compatibility of parts from cars to cars from his junkyard days and it says that the pitman arm from a 72 should not be the same as one from a 73/74 Roadrunner. But at Advance Auto, they listed the one they sold me as working for 72-74 which makes me wonder if thier system has the wrong years tied into it. Also he said the steering arms or something aren't flat like thier supposed to be (meaning level??) and that there is a 30% angle to them. I think he said uphill grade, if that means anything. Does anyone think I'm barking up the wrong tree and/or should I take it to a frame shop now to see if my frame might be off??
Oh my god, please someone help! :)

I think your friend needs to back away from the hookah.

I'd call one of the suspension companies like PST or ______________ (sorry...went blank) and see what they have to say about your pitman.

but that "steering arms aren't level"??????????????

Auto Transport Service
Back